America by JC1113 - Scientific Models

Time to paint the metal bits that came with the kit.  I cleaned the metal as best I could, 50 year old pot metal had a lot of black tarnish. This is the second coat of primer. Really wish I had a mini bead blast cabinet, but that is way down on the list of things to buy.  For the remaining pieces I’m thinking of etching them before the primer.

I’ve never had to tie a clove hitch with thread before, I guess it will be good practice for the rigging.

Also, how do I move this build to the proper date. I fat fingered and put it in the wrong one. 

E195644C-07D9-420D-A1A1-CDB89288CC6E.jpeg

Nice build log.  You are off to a good start.

3 hours ago, JC1113 said:

Also, how do I move this build to the proper date. I fat fingered and put it in the wrong one.

I moved it for you.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Rather than cut more tiny pieces I made  due with what I had and decided internal strengthening would allow for easier finish work and carved a piece of wood to fit and set it in a healthy dose of white glue.  Once dry I filled in the corners with plastic wood and filed once dry.  It came out as close to perfect as I intend to go.  Not 100%, but maybe 94.  Gluing the piece of card that is the top of the companionway necessitated a quick run to the pharmacy for nail polish remover.   The primer is drying on the made piece and top coat on the metal hatch. 

55723342-C170-48F8-8CF5-32B9DB8D6138.jpeg

125484BA-819C-416E-8FA5-2B04D5008855.jpeg

22 hours ago, JC1113 said:

Really wish I had a mini bead blast cabinet

The acquisition of such an item would probably put you in some pretty select company as far ship modelers go.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Well so much for using the hull that I thought the previous owner of my back up kit had meticulously crafted.  I suppose the easy way out would be to trim the deck piece. But as this project is after all a learning experience, I suppose this is a good a time as any to learn to use patterns to shape the hull.   Your thoughts ?129E82B2-F38C-44DA-96D7-7B10E612B004.jpeg.3b0f1df18b249df59614ebb43c8eae5d.jpeg