Copper Sheathing Plates, USS Constitution

I recently bought from E-bay a ship model from Model Expo the 48 inch long model of USS Constitution. I have seen from different sources that copper plates can be installed in the lower half of the hull. I have looked at the plans and having a problem figuring out how many square inches of hull I would have to cover with copper plates. Is there anyone out there in the Model Ship World that has done what I want to do that has an answer for me? I believe I have it figured out that 5X15mm plates would be used. Any held I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard.

I am not sure how many plates would be needed, but I can tell you that they used plates that were 14 inches wide and 48 inches long. You can scale that to the model's scale and come close to what you need.

There are several people who have coppered that model and I am sure they can provide some more insight.

Russ

Navyyeoman, welcome aboard.

I would look at some of the build logs of other builds in progress.

Here is one that shows how he coppered his build.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/423-uss-constitution-by-bob-riddoch-model-shipways-scale-176/page-1?hl=constitution

I would also look at the MSW Copper Sheathing Guide and see if that helps.

http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php

Also, start a build log of your build so we can follow along and give advice when needed.

Kevin

Current Build

AL Constellation

Completed Builds

AL Swift

Hi Navyyeoman,

I am no expert in coppering a hull as I have never done it before but the way I would calculate the area and therefore the number of plates needed would be to simplify the measurements. 

Firstly I would measure the overall length of the hull to be coppered (including the rudder) and then measure from the top of the coppering to the bottom of the keel to get the area of a simple rectangle then multiply this by 2 to get total area.

Once I worked that out I would add 10% to foul ups and wastage then divide this by the area of a single plate to get the total number of plates needed.

Don't know if this helps but that's how I would do it.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

I recently bought from E-bay a ship model from Model Expo the 48 inch long model of USS Constitution. I have seen from different sources that copper plates can be installed in the lower half of the hull. I have looked at the plans and having a problem figuring out how many square inches of hull I would have to cover with copper plates. Is there anyone out there in the Model Ship World that has done what I want to do that has an answer for me? I believe I have it figured out that 5X15mm plates would be used. Any held I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a couple pictures of the copper plating I used. It starts with a roll of copper foil 1/4 inch wide. You can buy that at stain-glass hobby shops or at one of the model ship stores. Instead of cutting the individual plates, I cut the foil into sections about seven inches long. It saved me a lot of time and effort to align the plates. For more details you might have a look at http://www.brentjes.com/connyhull4.html

post-246-0-24852500-1372611254.jpg

post-246-0-50464800-1372611521.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Modler12 - I certainly appreciate your tips and pictures.  I've just started on the "sister ship" USS Constellation.  I like the copper plate concept and will try to utilize those methods you have shown.  I've got a long ways to go before reaching that point.  Just now putting deck planking down!

Edited by jdickey