Proxxon transformer - speed control for Pen Sander?

I am considering the Proxxon Pen Sander.  Can anyone with experience with this tool tell me if a transformer with a speed control is important.  The price difference with and without speed control is considerable.  I am not using any other 12 volt tools.

Thank You,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

I don't think you need variable speed for a sander. Incidentally, I have the Proxxon Pen Sander and love it - a very useful little tool.

Thanks Grant, I bought pen with basic transformer so I saved some for the next tool.

Richard

Richard

Meredith,

do you find yourself using the speed control very much with the pen sander?

Richard

Richard

Meredith, I appreciate your looking that up. 

On Amazon the Proxxon 38706 Transformer NG 2/S is $23.90 U.S. Dollars and the Proxxon 38704 Heavy Duty Transformer NG 5/E (with speed control) is $58.18.  A much greater difference. Other sites I have searched are even more expensive.

Can you tell me where you got your prices? Even if it has to be shipped in, it might be much cheaper.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard

Hi all,

apparently, without realizing it, I have been responding to emails from two different threads that cover this same topic.

There is good information on "Micro Power Sanders" in this same forum. 

In that thread the MicroMark pen sander was mentioned. It does not require a transformer which would make it more convenient but also does not have a speed control.  The price is not far off from the Proxxon with its speedless transformer.

Since proxxon and micromark seem to be pretty similar in cost and quality, the choice seems to be:

whether speed control is important

whether you want an extra piece of equipment between you and the power.

Hmmm, that brings the question of whether AC or 12 volt is better.

And so it goes...

Richard

Richard

I purchased mine in Australia Richard - and with a lot of things we are already paying quite a bit more. The one with the speed control was $45.52 AUD (listed as US $41.78) and the one with out was $37.73 AUD (or $34.63 USD). Not sure how often they update the currency conversion on their site - but the Aussie dollar has dropped against the US dollar of recent times.

www.proxxonworld.com.au

I have proxxon tools in both AC and DC (the pen sander is at the minute the only 21v proxxon I own) - all my other proxxon gear is 240V (disc sander, mini drill/grinder, scroll saw, shaper etc)

Edited by Meredith

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Meredith, I followed the link supplied.  The prices are not bad at all.  One thing I noticed is that there is a less expensive transformer but only in 220 volt.  The less expensive transformer in 110 volt does not have the speed control.  I would be stuck with the more expensive model to get speed control in 110 volt.

Oh well...

If I decide to go without the speed control, I will probably go with the Micromark version suggested by another member.  While it does not have speed control, it does not require a transformer, so one less piece of equipment.

Thanks for all you help

Richard

Richard

Well, the pen sander issue was decided by my wife.  She noticed me looking at the Proxxon on Amazon and bought it and the transformer as a surprise.  I received the package today.

Am I lucky or what?

Richard

Richard