Help with keel layout .

Hi all building the Dumas sub chaser didn't get very far before I ran into a little problem , not sure how the rear center keel and the forward keel section go together  ?  All it says in the instructions is , cut and shape the necessary ends of each strip shown on the full size drawing where the stuffing box will go . IMG-20201204-174910727.jpg

Edited by LEGION 12

Looking at what I can see from the drawings, my guess woud be: the basswood strips run to the sides of the stuffing box, the strip K4 is glued on top of the basswoodstrips, thus connecting the two (the grey area that is indicated on the drawing)

K7 is glued to the inside of the keel.

The part of the keel that is not coveredby K4 at the underside is to be sanded away when all is dry and removed from  the building board.

What I can’t make out: drawing and sketch do show the keel left-right changed...

Jan

Edited by amateur

• 2 weeks later...

😲  EEEEKK!!!!!!  Balsa wood or basswood?  If you are planking with balsa hold that thought.  Go to a hobby store or Michael's and get some basswood.

It may be a bit late now for your current model, but below is what I think they were trying to represent.

joint1.JPG.d7e6b6b8a81d692138ce0122738c6e3c.JPG

joint2.JPG.49415e88a94f00762833dce44d91cb1b.JPG

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

1 hour ago, Chuck Seiler said:

😲  EEEEKK!!!!!!  Balsa wood or basswood?  If you are planking with balsa hold that thought.  Go to a hobby store or Michael's and get some basswood.

It may be a bit late now for your current model, but below is what I think they were trying to represent.

joint1.JPG.d7e6b6b8a81d692138ce0122738c6e3c.JPG

joint2.JPG.49415e88a94f00762833dce44d91cb1b.JPG

I will try the balsa that came with the kit if I have any problems with it I will try and find some basswood . The pic you posted would leave no room for the stuffing box that has to go through the keel . 

Just now, DARIVS ARCHITECTVS said:

I think he may be talking about balsa filling blocks, not planking.  Blocks of balsa glued between the frames and shaped to the hull form.  Planking over the top of all that makes for smooth curves and no hard bends (creating a fold line at a frame) or flat spots.

Oh the stringers are basswood still kinda new to all this .