Flag rigging, HM Cutter Alert

Joe100

Greetings!

I’m building a diorama of HM Cutter Alert under easy sail with the mainsail and gaff lowered. I’ve seen some drawings and painting depicting this, and it’s allowing me to not only depict the ship under sail but show off the rigging too. The big mainsail is impressive, but it’s blocking a lot of detail.

My question is this: With the main gaff lowered, how would the flag be rigged, if at all? Would it still be connected to the main boom? This seems to be a fairly extreme angle. Or would the storm gaff be rigged and the flag rigging connected there?

Thanks for your input!

joe

In that situation I doubt the Ensign would be displayed. Ensigns were not routinely worn during voyages, unless action was imminent and an enemy was to be engaged.

What would be worn is the Commissioning pennant at the mast head, this would be in place for the duration of a commission.

A smaller (Harbour)Ensign may be displayed if the ship was at anchor, worn at the gaff or perhaps otherwise on a staff at the stern sheets.

Still a well presented Ensign provides a nice touch of colour on a model, and there must have been times when it was displayed to meet a particular situation.

B.E.

1 hour ago, Joe100 said:

under easy sail with the mainsail and gaff lowered. I’ve seen some drawings and painting depicting this

I apologize for the slight hijack, but do you have a link to these pictures at all? I have been considering rigging my Alert with furled sails and I’m beginning my search for inspiration.