Barque Peking

Bill V

Sadly, these beautiful steel-hulled ships are rarely offered in kit form (they are large models, even in 1/96 scale). There are a few kits available of some of the extant tallships such as the one of Belem manufactured by the French company, Soclaine. Billing Boats has one for Danmark, Woody Joe makes one for Nippon Maru, and there are probably a couple of others that fail my mind at the moment.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Hi Bill,

the  Laeisz P-Liner Peking is of identical build to it`s sistership Passat. Therefor  a Kit of the Passat (for example Heller in plastic, scale 1:150) could easily be  named Peking with appr. decals

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I love these big “Flying P” ships.  IMHO they exhibit power that epitomizes the final development of the commercial sailing ship.  Unfortunately I don’t see myself ever tackling a model of one of them.  This is actually one ship where I would prefer a waterline model.

The wooden kit producer A.J. Fisher used to offer a kit for a four masted iron/steel hulled four masted barque.  They called it the “Californian.”  You might be able to track down the kit or at least the plans on EBay.  If you are fortunate enough to find the kit, in its day, A.J. Fisher kits produced accurate high quality models.

Bill, I hope you find the kit that you are looking for.

Roger