I`ve just kicked off my new project, It`s a tramp Laker Steamship based on an 3 island superstructure and on a real appr. 2150 tonnage freighter built in 1918, now in (H0) scale 1: 87.

Who still remembers the Warner Bros movie "The Sea Chase" of 1955 staring John Wayne in the roll of capt. Ehrlich of the ERGENSTRASSE and Lana Turner as an attractive female agent as the only passenger.

I investigated and found out that the Laker ship "Corsicana" aka "Margaret Shafer" had been engaged for the movie in 1955, hereby renamed to ERGENSTRASSE.

For my model I used the Corsicana`s data  for the Ergenstrasse rating and for hull, frameplan and general shapes those of a wooden Ferris-Ship of the American emergency fleet, being round about the length, width and depth an tonnage of the Laker Corsicana .

The movie ship was fitted with the following changes compared to the Corsicana :

- Masts changed from four to two, these placed in the forward and aft welldeck areas

- Outer bridge ends fitted with wing cabs

My model will be performed completely from scratch and in the same way as my previous models and bearing a rivited metal plating skin

Data for model ERGENSTRASSE

scale           1:87 (H0)

Length        87 cm

width          15 cm

depth            7 cm

I decided to fit 23 plywood frames, and to provide stringers and pine plank strips beneath the metal plating

The model will set up on 2 brass pedestals and wooden stand baseplate

Nils

ef784fee5b596c33ca5f12fd390a1188e898c44a.jpg

This is the Corsicana, built 1918

pdvd_2493_sjt02 (1).jpg

This is the steamship ERGENSTRASSE aka Corsicana aka margaret Schafer

a6d87b62dfa3edb14adba1c5b9e9edcd.jpg

Captain Ehrlich aka John Wayne

images (12).jpg

MV5BMTY0ODAwNTA3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTE3MDU1NzE@._V1_.jpg

vFzBvq70zOqCb25pJL7pjGBrVAN.jpg

web-1-N-2082.jpg

This is a pic from the web representing a laker steam freighter, not my model

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Interesting subject, Nils.  I well remember your Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse build and I look forward to following this new project of yours.  

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

This should be a great model.  I'm in.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

IThe “Lake” class of steamships were steel hulled vessels built by shipyards along the shores of the Great Lakes.  Over 75 of these were built in Duluth, Minnesota’s Riverside neighborhood along the St Louis River that flows into the Western End of Lake Superior.  In addition to constructing the shipyard the owners built an entire community; apartment buildings, houses, recreation clubs, etc.  The houses are still lived in.

The Ships were based on the Norwegian Fredrickstad design with dimensions limited for passage through the Welland Canal around Niagara Falls and the locks around the rapids in the St Lawrence River.  This limited length to about 240ft.  Most if not all were not completed in time to stem the WW I shipping crisis.    Construction stretched into 1920, and of course they then contributed to a glut of shipping that depressed prices.  The Riverside Yard closed shortly thereafter.  The yard’s owners formed a Great Lakes fleet composed of these vessels.  Known as the “Poker Fleet,” the Ships were named Ace, King, Queen, Jack, and Ten. In the first picture that you posted above Corsicana’s cargo gear has been fitted out for the lumber trade.

You should be able to find drawings.  The American kit manufacturer A.J. Fisher used to sell a kit and drawings for one of these.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

That last photo looks like the Sylvan Scale Models kit: https://sylvanscalemodels.com/kits/HO-1082.htm

(Might be the N scale version)

I have a partially completed one sitting on the shelf. 

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Dear fellow builders,

I`m pleased to find all this nice response with my Ergenstrasse introduction, and shall be posting the first available pics of the log herewith.......

Gary

the Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse was my most detailed model to date, I`m pleased that you liked it

Mark

thanks for looking in and further enjoy the build

Paul

I`m very pleased you like it

Roger

thanks very much for your kind and interesting to read input on this behalf

Andy

Yes, I remember it was a waterline-model kit from the webs homepage of Sylvan models. The pic in my introduction was just to give an idea what a Laker steamer would look like

Nils

DSCI9157.thumb.JPG.80cbac77770f09803853b9e3b8fea2cb.JPG

dimensions / data

DSCI9150.thumb.JPG.736ad6fa5c54dd09f41ef5be8dc87583.JPG

hull, frameplan and lines taken from wooden Ferris design steamer (Emergancy Fleet)

DSCI9152.thumb.JPG.31ebeac8f23f2b8a61bcf26c5d9514aa.JPG

frames adopted to transparent paper glued onto 3 layer birch plywood

DSCI9156.thumb.JPG.d315fee5a0b77b5c1c4773a4b9432608.JPG

frame set up on the base building board

DSCI9158.thumb.JPG.3a78cdbad21683771480a7c452e40d0e.JPG

a lot of jigsaw work.....

DSCI9161.thumb.JPG.d4a03444aec0d996bb682969b1acab86.JPG

the raw cut tiles for better handling

DSCI9162.thumb.JPG.2cfa4dd8354bbfef0b9f775a8a77cd6e.JPG

the hull shape is coming on with every frame, the edge outcuts are for placing the stringers

DSCI9163.thumb.JPG.5c3715979482990599e5fd95a34c43da.JPG

DSCI9164.thumb.JPG.c55e8a13c7ad940db195517c35cd47e6.JPG

here to be seen, the square bar "backbone" of the hull. This will also take up the mounting spindles for the stand pedetals

DSCI9167.thumb.JPG.1f891ef453c5d39b92ff8f827275df06.JPG

an additional keel bar is placed underneath the square bar

DSCI9168.thumb.JPG.53d31e7947475187b18fff5f488aacd5.JPG

next in progress will be the mounting of the stringers and check of the lines staking

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

3 hours ago, druxey said:

A nice and sturdy start, Nils!

Many thanks Druxey,

I`m following a certain pattern of sequences but now and then there are some slight necessary changes depending on how the progress works out, as this is completely a scratch build

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

56 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

Looks great! There's nothing like scratch building.......

Thanks Ian, you`ve said it......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I see that a number of these vessels were built by The American Shipbuilding Company.   Bowling Green State University (Ohio) holds American Shipbuilding’s drawings.  They should be able to supply copies.  Originally, the names of these vessels all began with “Lake.”  So if you enter a known name into the data base it will yield the original name. You can then use this to search for drawings.

Suggestion:  the Poker Fleet vessel King was built by American Shipbuilding.

Roger

9 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

John

I´m happy that you like it, stay tuned

Roger

many thanks for your information .......

Nils

I started with the stringers yesterday, 6 on each side, it takes a little tuning on the position of the frame outcuts, but in generell it fits good.

There are now 2 out-cuts in the lower part of the keel and press-in counternuts in the squarebar (topside) for taking up the M5 pedestal spindles for the standplate

DSCI9171.thumb.JPG.8aa79c7b2171c628088f0728a80b0321.JPG

the stringers are relatively thin planks but get there strength through the bending. They provide (after sanding) a good surface for the later planking

DSCI9172.thumb.JPG.452991b4ea1e5efbaa0144cf8e5afd88.JPG

The press-in nuts .....

DSCI9173.thumb.JPG.6f1f994577129d3071e8affc2b71c62a.JPG

where spindles go through

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I missed the start of this one Nils, so I’ve just caught up. Looks like another interesting build - I’m pulling up a chair.

do`nt worry Grant, your good in time for watching the logs begin,

thanks for looking in .....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

update

made the bilge keels, the raw standplates,and the pedestals

Nils

DSCI9177.thumb.JPG.29fc78f071dfe2e3b57385b2d2fb3a28.JPG

the raw standplate prior to staining and the two pedestals. Am again using brass parts of a candle holder and made a 5 mm center boring

DSCI9178.thumb.JPG.5d5af00c410036c1d79026aba5e54967.JPG

the bilge keels are from aluminium flat 2 x 15 mm. Here in the pic the alum. strips are appr. 12mm wide, but that was too narrow, so they wii be rejected

DSCI9179.thumb.JPG.b171344c4eddbb2b7c6368a25f987a4c.JPG

am experimenting a little how to get the prop / rudder area. The upper aft area (poop sides) will be vertically planked

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

7 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

Ian, I am myself surprised how fast it goes to date with this build .....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

1 hour ago, FriedClams said:

A nice sturdy beginning.  Looking good.

Gary

Thank you Gary and stay tuned

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thank you very much Mic

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

the rudder is going to be attached to the Ruddershaft with on-soldered tabs

DSCI9181.thumb.JPG.799d60e224d44c947e4779c806fe9cdb.JPG

the peace of wood (dummy rudder)  is only a help in soldering and for alignment of the tabs for position and thickness

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Nils,

I'm a little late but will try to keep up. 

A nice subject, it will be impressive at this scale. 

Bruce 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

2 hours ago, bruce d said:

Hello Nils,

I'm a little late but will try to keep up. 

A nice subject, it will be impressive at this scale. 

Bruce 

hello Bruce, welcome and its nice to have you on board

Nils

1 hour ago, Blue Ensign said:

Always a pleasure to follow your projects Nils, you select such interesting subjects.

Regards,

B.E.

many thanks B.E.

I read the German version, der Seefuchs of "The Sea Chase" a couple of weeks ago, and was looking if anyone had ever built a model of the Ergenstrasse, but in vain, no results.

What I found on the web was the original Laker steamer which transfered into the movie ship. I also remembered some drawing data I had filed some years ago of the Ferris typ wooden steamer.

What came out is now my new project

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

8 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

You're making good progress, Nils.

John

Thank you John,

I`m putting on the last stringer on the port side today. The heel with the outcut for the 4-blade prop is in work as well as the rudder arrangement.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed