Pilot schooner Elbe 5 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - about 1890 (launched 1883 in Hamburg)

I`m starting a new project on this forum.

I fell in love with a two masted pilot schoner, that operated on the Elbe river, Elbe-mouth and german bay. The period about 1890. I`m adding some pictures I researched on the web, and information from marine paintings.

The enclosed print of an wonderful oil painting, was created by the marine painter Carl Becker, who died in1926.

The picture, adopted from one of my own books shows the pilot schoner "Elbe 5" before the elbe Estuary. The small pilot transfer boat brings the pilot back, now that the steamer in the background has presumably completed its journey down the Elbe river and is just about enter the Elbe mouth and onwards to the open sea.

The model will be scratch built and POF, equiped with gaff sails and appropriate  rigging

The chosen scale will be 1:50 and the estimated build time 12 months from today. The displaying shall be on brass pedestals in a glass casing .......

the models rating will be:

length over all                          725 mm

hull length                                 524 mm

breadth over frame                117 mm

Hight main mast from

decks railing                              504 mm

copper cladding below the waterline

The original schoner has already changed it`s owners many times in life since the 1890 days, has been lovefully cherrished an equipped with up to date nautical- and safety equipment. After sinking to the river bed some years ago after an accidential crash wih a trader motorship it has been raised, restored and is now  being operated by  much enthusiated members of an association of maritime oldtimer ships and live museum craft. in Hamburg. They are also offering tourns on the Elbe river when the weather is suitable again.

Nils

DSCI8309.thumb.jpg.ea0429367e8aead0e8df7f7bf82e8764.jpg

print of an oil painting by Carl Becker (died 1926)

01-lotsenschoner-no-5-elbe--bild.jpg.4b3f856a9edcd666e1dc116f1f0910d0.jpg

Elbe 5 in moderate breeze on Elbe river

below is showing the template of one of the 13 frames for the model. The frames will be cut out of 2,5mm thick multiply with 5 layers

DSCI8314.thumb.JPG.e37bad25f2ecdc94b4ce0e23d17f84c3.JPG

image_manager__contentimage_elbe_no5_neuer_riss.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils,

An interesting project.  I look forward to following along.

Asa youngster, I read in National Geographic Magazine about a man named Irving Johnson who along with his wife sailed a Schooner named Yankee around the Pacific Ocean.  If my memory is correct, Yankee was an ex- German Baltic Sea Pilot Boat.  She was a steel hulled vessel.  She was eventually wrecked on a Pacific reef.

Would she be a sister to the vessel that you are modeling?

Roger

ELBE 5 was built from wood by the H.C. Stülcken yard in Hamburg. Being built from wood may have been her luck in 2019, when due to a seamanship error she was overrun on the Elbe river by a small container ship. She could be salvaged and underwent restauration. Not sure whether this is completed yet.

Why did you use the rather odd scale of 1:51 ?

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I know her well. She was on S.F. Bay for many decades, known as Wander Bird.  She was a rig-less houseboat in Sausalito when I first met her in the early seventies, thirty years or so after she'd completed her voyage west around Cape Horn to San Francisco before the War. Warwick Tompkins had skippered her around the Horn with his wife, two young children, and a paid hand. Warwick was a well-known local yachtsman, as to this day is his son, Warwick "Commodore" Tompkins, who was four at the time of their voyage.

Warwick M. Tompkins wrote two books about his family's voyage around Cape Horn in Wander BirdFifty South to Fifty South, 1938, W.W.Norton & Co., NY and Two Sailors, 1939, The Viking Press, NY, (a story of the voyage written from the perspective of the Tompkins  children.) Both of these books are full of good photographs showing details of the vessel which would likely be very helpful to the modeler. Fifty South by Fifty South,  contains together with the expected narrative of the voyage, an appendix containing many technical details on the vessel . Warwick Tompkins also made a 35mm movie of the voyage entitled In the Wake of the Clippers, which a modeler would probably be interested in watching. I've never seen the movie and I don't know if it is still extant. I'm sure "Commodore Thompkins" would know. I expect he could be reached through the St. Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco.

Wander Bird was later acquired by Hal Sommer, a local tug boat skipper and acquaintance of mine, who spent years restoring "the Bird" to mint condition and sailing her on the Bay. Wander Bird was for many years the centerpiece of the classic yacht community on San Francisco Bay. I was fortunate to be able to witness a lot of the work done on her and I learned much about larger wooden shipbuilding by watching Hal, his son Ross, and other "old timers" working on her.  Wander Bird was ultimately sold and moved up to Washington, I believe, and then returned to Germany as a museum ship. 

The restored Bird sailing off Yellow Bluff heading home to Sausalito, CA on S.F. Bay. Note the two crew aloft at the mainmast doubling. I have no idea what they are doing up there, other than "skylarking," but I doubt that. Hal ran a tight ship so I doubt they were up there for fun. They wouldn't have been raising setting a topsail in than wind and on that course and there's no evidence of one on deck, 

See the source image

See the source image

She carried a rafee topsail earlier in her life:

wander-bird.jpg?w=348

I'm looking forward to your build log!

Edited by Bob Cleek

Lovely boat, look forward to seeing her come to life.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 1:42 AM, Roger Pellett said:

Hi Roger,

many thanks for looking in and for your remarks / question....

I`m unfortunately not knowing if there was a sister ship to the Elbe 5, but the Elbe 5 is a wooden built schoner originaly built in Hamburg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

On 2/5/2022 at 3:44 PM, wefalck said:

Hi Eberhart,

I am aware of the history of the ship. Regarding to the chosen scale, this is relating to the total outcome of the final model`s length (point of bowsprit  to end of the lower large beam)

Nils

On 2/5/2022 at 3:44 PM, wefalck said:

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

On 2/5/2022 at 3:39 AM, Jim Lad said:

hi John,

I agree with the paintings atmosphere, that was the final kick off to start with this model

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

On 2/5/2022 at 9:39 PM, Bob Cleek said:

Hello Bob,

with geat interest I read your lines about the schoners history under name Wander Bird. Many thanks for your input here, and for the nice pictures you provided. Its been a pleasure in building the model so far to date, and you will see I`m just beginning with the planking. The hull is a lightweight contruction, and the red cedar planks I`m using are leftovers from my earlier Chebeque build

Best regards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

On 2/6/2022 at 9:52 PM, KeithAug said:

thank you Keith,

for your words and enjoy the buildlog as it goes on.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update.

the hull is under way, the frames fit and glued to the keel, stringers are placed and now it is ready for planking....

DSCI8317.thumb.JPG.45af9a9da88f270212184d3f3f42295c.JPG

The frames are made after glueing on the tranparent paper templates to the 2,5 mm thick 5 layers aero-plywood. per good old jig saw cutting

DSCI8316.thumb.JPG.af2245cb79d0e27aabd03220e5f65d67.JPG

DSCI8332.thumb.JPG.ceca6459554888a089e27393a694c6d5.JPG

preliminary keel and stringers are for aligning the frames in centerline corresponding to the mounting board

DSCI8333.thumb.JPG.13b319a77fbcf9301400c1c657ee6842.JPG

the third last frame had to be replaced ( here cardboard template)

DSCI8337.thumb.JPG.5755a3403d73ffca21221187bc9a987b.JPG

the outcuts for the stringers are 2 x 3 mm and possibly need to be slightly adjusted to straking and fitting the stringers flush with te frame outer contour

DSCI8340.thumb.JPG.002acd395de49043395f52889738d093.JPG

the wooden baseplate is a leftover of my Pegasus build, provided with new distance logs for the ELBE 5 frames

DSCI8343.thumb.JPG.07f3138c553e63386b6a8c99d689901c.JPG

stringers fit to the frames, they are staking quite well and leave minimal touchup trimming. The keel will be brought to shape at a later time

DSCI8344.thumb.JPG.92eeabe8cb74d59ca86d5262d4badaaa.JPG

there are two slots in the keel that take up the spindles of the pedastels later on. To allow sufficient countering of the spindles above the keel there are logs glued in between the appropriate frames

DSCI8346.thumb.JPG.72a4b4be2a5216cfa27c8ec372428b4f.JPG

I fitted 14 frames at a distance of 40 mm. Here can be seen how filigrane the contstruction is. I use watertight white glue

The brassDSCI8348.thumb.JPG.c9c068746af1ab1554d1ee602ccc8298.JPG

the two brass pedestals made for old candle holders (flea market) and the zinc galvanised  M3 spindles

The  braced on short U-profiles take up the keel.

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

21 minutes ago, archjofo said:

Thank you Johann, and enyoy the log as it goes

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, I became curious about whether any of the movie film Tompkins took of Wander Bird's voyage around the Horn might have found its way onto the internet. I found this piece on YouTube, a newsreel clip that is, of course, dated and quite hokey to our modern eyes, but full of pictures of the deck details which may be hard to find elsewhere. Enjoy!:

Bob,

many thanks for forwarding the vidio you found on u-tube. After that I found  quite a couple of other clips relating to the ship.

Frightening to see were the kids on board, having their childhood playground on a length of appr. 25 meters, and all without lifejackets nor safety harnesses in the masts and the rig. But you`re right, there are many good samples for the schoners historic fitting out. Being built and launched as a pilots work ship I`m not sure if there were an engine fitted in the beginning, probably not. The restored current vessel has been equiped with 2 props.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

the first 3 planks per side are on now. looks like  there are not enough red cedar planks for the whole length, so I might need to use the cut off ends and stick / shaft them together.

Nils

DSCI8349.thumb.JPG.6f07d03bb300aacaf1d8aadfa99c2840.JPG

planks are 1,5 x 6 mm

DSCI8350.thumb.JPG.403dbc9c7f1835852f6eed09173fccae.JPG

this is one of the pedestal spindle counter press in nuts

DSCI8351.thumb.JPG.ede4d6230e9413fb8244502cc5b4cd08.JPG

the frames deckside beams will need some trimming and adjusting in order to get a smooth deck lay on

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Bonjour Nils. Encore une belle construction en cours, une fois encore je vais suivre avec beaucoup d'attention votre journal de bord. De mon côté mon Bohuslan prend forme doucement mais sûrement. Je vous adresserai bientôt des photos.... A très bientôt, prenez beaucoup de plaisir à la réalisation de ce beau navire et faites nous partager régulièrement vos progrès. Amitiés de France. 

11 minutes ago, LEFEBVRE said:

Many thanks for your kind words LEFEBVRE

with interest I`ll be looking forward to you Bohuslän-build pictures

Best regards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Le 17/02/2022 à 15:45, Mirabell61 a dit :

Mettre à jour

les 3 premières planches de chaque côté sont en place maintenant. On dirait qu'il n'y a pas assez de planches de cèdre rouge pour toute la longueur, donc je devrai peut-être utiliser les outils coupés et les coller / les assembleur.

Nils

DSCI8349.thumb.JPG.6f07d03bb300aacaf1d8aadfa99c2840.JPG

les planches mesurent 1,5 x 6 mm

DSCI8350.thumb.JPG.403dbc9c7f1835852f6eed09173fccae.JPG

c'est l'une des contre-presses de broche de piédestal en écrous

DSCI8351.thumb.JPG.ede4d6230e9413fb8244502cc5b4cd08.JPG

les poutres du côté du pont des cadres auront besoin d'être ajustées et ajustées afin d'obtenir un pont lisse

2 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

Thanks for looking in and for your interest B:E.

I`ll do my best to get this project through.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

The planking is quite time intensive due to the glue curing time, and the bending stresses, but meantime I got 11 planks to each side.

I`m also thinking about copper sheeting the hull below the waterline. I have a sample copper sheet 0,1 mm thick, unfortunately that is not available with a gluefilm on the rear side. Will have to make some glueing trials. The poncing of the copper quality (sunk nail heads) is no problem though....

Nils

DSCI8353.thumb.JPG.253b3383c0d25e064c6e85a6c1ac2f7e.JPG

the red-cedar planks follow the frame contours quite well

DSCI8354.thumb.JPG.e8337e05b319fd3f2fc4de2cb333c6a7.JPG

the planking from the deckline downwards will be scraped afterwards, prior to sanding

DSCI8355.thumb.JPG.566d919a59d61ce512574033e2aaf5ba.JPG

the aft bulwark section will be planked with vertical attached planks. Probably the bulwarks will be planked with pine, also 1,5 x 6mm, because my red-cedar planks have come to an end

DSCI8356.thumb.JPG.640770b7e8b32758072f256848c2826f.JPG

in opposite to a riviting immitation the ponce sheet parts will be turned around 180 degr. for faking the sunk sheeting nail haids

here a sample for poncing with different toothwheel moduls

2464da23d3eaf8d9d54e887416b605e6c079d69c-jpeg.jpg.2c29c84d69f5b1501ca348754b408785.jpg

this is the actual schoner in the shipyard after being in water for quite some time. My model will not be fitted with props

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

good morning Matthias,

many thanks for looking in, I`m pleased that you like it. I will be fitting the last 3 planks in the next days.

The Zeesboot is momentarily still standing on the bench in my work room and looks at me every day. I must and will go  on with that build as well

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, I'm also taking a break from model making. Other important tasks are currently pending. The models stand there and remind me again and again. At some point it will continue.

Update

the bulwarks and the aft rounding have been planked with pine, next will be to scrape the entire planking with a scraping blade prior to sanding it

all over

Nils

DSCI8357.thumb.JPG.244699a0f26f95b7b82ff3a23eb80dcc.JPG

the aft bulwark rounding is planked verticaly, the lower portion of it will be trimed flush with the below planking

DSCI8361.thumb.JPG.2bf1a422e16f877c0148169f4d563ec5.JPG

put 20 planks on each side. The sternpost will be adjusted and trimed

DSCI8364.thumb.JPG.5e0c875f5bbb0b266e24556b6892da54.JPG

DSCI8358.thumb.JPG.c02c7b332a2c3bd9d7e8ba69934a68fd.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Taking shape very quickly Nils and looking good.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

12 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Taking shape very quickly Nils and looking good.

Keith,

many thanks for looking in, am pleased you like the schooner`s progress...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils....it's so very nice to see you at the bench again.  Great start.  I'm reminded of your beautiful metal German liner.  This schooner is a slight variance.

Rob 

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."