Cutty Sark recommendations

The Cutty Sark has been high on my build list for a while but I’m running into an issue. There are too many kits to choose from! I have read through plenty of logs trying to find the one I want to build but I’m hoping for some input from people who may have built this model or know more about it. 

Im hoping to find a kit in 1:48 or 1:72, wood, POB or POF, and most importantly realism. I have seen and read that certain companies are more realistic than others, so I’m really trying to find something that isn’t speculation or guess work. If any one has built this model with these specifications I would love to know. I’m thinking this will be my last kit build before I attempt a scratch build, thanks again everyone!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

I am almost finished the Sergal Cutty Sark, scale 1:78  this model is 44" long.  Any larger scale would be huge!  This ship is so difficult to model that I suspect that many builders abandon the project or scale back their expectations.  This should be undertaken only by an experienced expert builder.

The kit was an older issue dating back to the 1980's.  It sat in my workshop until 2010 when I started it.  So ten years later I am almost finished including sails.  The current kit I understand is not as good, as some of the fittings are just awful.  This kit was fair, except for the plans, which had gross errors.  It must be built from Longridge's book and plans from the Cutty Sark Museum.  Very difficult but a good model can be the result.  There are some intermediate photos of my model if you search for them.  I'll post an update in a few weeks.

From what I have read the Billing Boats kit seems to be quite good.  Good luck  Lou