I always plank the hull first. For the kits I build I had to cut off the frames at deck level after planking the hull so you want to cover that while planking the deck. Regardless, I find that the deck generally fits poorly so any adjustments made can be covered easily, including a possible gap between hull and deck.

The only disadvantage is that the last deck planks require extra care when installing, particularly when the hull curves inwards. 

Bounty - Billing Boats

Le Mirage - Corel

Sultan Arab Dhow - Artesania Latina

Royal Caroline - Panart (in progress)

Yacht Admiralty Amsterdam - Scratch build (design completed, ready to start build))

Generally i plank the hull first. There have been times for me when i thought planking the decks first would have been helpful but it really depends on whether you have a laser cut deck or not. I have never used a laser cut deck but putting those in before hull planking seems to be the way to go, if you are planking the deck without a laser cut template then i recommend those last. 

Bradley 

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

I like to plank the hull first.

Then I seal the inside with epoxy paint (or resin) to prevent cracks from appearing in the future. Also, I paint the inside of the hull black anywhere it might be visible through hatch gratings, companionways, etc. (assuming you aren't building an interior that you want to be visible).

Thanks for all your comments.

The main reason I asked is because like most of us I plank the hull before planking the deck. But in my Mayflower kit the plans, photos and instructions show planking the decks first. First time I have ever seen it done that way and was just wondering if it made things easier or not.

Phil, I like the way you did your waterways and margin planks. I'm going to have to give that a try.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift