In studying some details on 17th century ships, I found an interesting item I had never noticed before.  There were   ports in the doors in both the QD and FC bulkheads.   I found these described in John Franklin's Navy Board Ship Models on pages 31 and 32.  He states "Until the early years of the eighteenth century, ports are often pierced in the doors of the forecastle and quarterdeck bulkheads."  From what I can find this is not referring to the beakhead bulkhead in the case of the FC.  The below drawing shows the set up of a sixth rate of 1697.  The below photo shows ports in the doors as well although slightly different configuration as it is about 1702 and on a royal yacht with the ports opening vertically versus sideways.   Similar setups can be seen in other 17th century contemporary models.

Question.  What are these ports for?   To defend the ship  against boarders caught in the waist while the crew is taking refuge inside the FC and QD?    For passing items through the bulkheads rather than opening the doors?   I am anxious to hear any ideas, but especially if based on contemporary information if it exists.

I posted this in the Charles Galley build log as well, but thought more folks might see this here.

247103789_Bulheadports.JPG.9257f90bb5755c1b893b031aa50100bc.JPG

1664700101_Bowphoto2.jpg.9545c02c1d01d563503858ddcb2fd8fd.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU