Collars for the stays

Has anyone got any tips on either where to get some or how you made collars. I have unsuccessfully attempted to make some for my Norske Love rebuild, (if they were supplied then they have been lost over the years). I managed to make the euphroe blocks but the collars are beating me, I have tried out of wood but they keep splitting and even tried to drill out a large plastic deadeye but all have been a failure so far. I have got James Lees book and know what they should look like, any advice would be most welcome.

If it doesn't have to be natural wood, there are various other materials, such as brass, acrylic glass or bakelite paper. If you find a dark brown version of the latter, it can look almost like wood, when polished. I am using it for blocks.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

On 4/3/2021 at 5:38 PM, Seahawk1313 said:

I laminate thin wood ( like "plywood" ) to make my collars and hearts, then cut to shape.  - Hal  

Cheers seahawk, I had not thought of this, so gave it a try and it worked,  a bit fiddly and not sure if they are strictly to scale but they look reasonable and any smaller would be fairly difficult.