Cross Jack Braces

I am assuming that the above is the lower yard on the mizzen mast . My Bounty instructions suggest it does not have braces on the lower yard, only on the Topsail yard. I have now read 3 books and all suggest that the braces have not changed much over the years but all  three  books all say that the cross jack yard has single blocks on the yards ,and a rope is lead from the aft shroud on the main mast on the opposite side through this block on the yard, back to another block secured on the same shroud and then secured at a belaying pin. Hope might explanation is accurate enough. Before I make these changes to my model, I just wanted to ensure that the lower yard on the mizzen mast is definately the cross jack and I should carry out this exra rigging.I have looked at a number of online sources and another blog  on MSW and they too have missed out this rigging so its a bit confusing.  Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Hi,

You are correct that the lower yard on the Mizzen mast is the Cross Jack. I would also rig the cross jack braces exactly as you have described and did do on my Bounty. There was no sail on this yard but braces would be used to brace the lower edge of the sail set on the topsail.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

11 hours ago, Thunder said:

Hi,

You are correct that the lower yard on the Mizzen mast is the Cross Jack. I would also rig the cross jack braces exactly as you have described and did do on my Bounty. There was no sail on this yard but braces would be used to brace the lower edge of the sail set on the topsail.

Thank you and what a relief to think I am getting the hang of this .Every bit of the rigging in the instructions I am having to double check to see if the instructions are correct some of which would clearly not work others are ok but over simplified. I just wanted to make sure that the cross jack wasn,t a yard  from a different time period or specific to a different country. Thank you for clearing this up for me . Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour