Ref: British war ships.     By a Navy Board order of 1795, coamings were to be built well clear of the deck, about 15 to 18 inches above deck level.  Contemporary models of the late 18th century and 19th century show the top of the head ledges to round more than than the rounding of the deck itself as does a drawing in Goodwin's Construction Fitting of the English an of War.  The gratings are similarly rounded to match the top of head ledges

I cannot find when  the use of the severely rounded head ledges began.  Would it be 1795 with the raised ledges and coamings or prior to that?   Photos of the contemporary model of the Royal William 1719 show low coamings but appear to have  rounding that is not so severe and approximates the rounding of the deck.  Same goes for several models of the late 17th century to the mid 18th century as well as  drawings  in Franklins Navy Board Ship Models 1650-1750. 

Another interesting note is that Franklin explains that in the 17th century and into the 18th century the head ledges and coamings were half-lapped as opposed to having angled joints.  

TIA

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Oh boy, dovetailing is going to be fun at 1:64.   Heck, that would be difficult at 1:24!!   Time to get out the 10X loupe.     

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

David,

I cannot find anything with dovetails for the 17th century.  The following is the half lap and other joints in Franklin's book and I was going to go with the simple half lap joint.  

TIA!!!

Allan2105402571_Coamingsandheadledges.thumb.JPG.fe17d0a8573631cbfe8b7db37af8bf93.JPG

Thanks David,  I have always used the joint that you show and I actually learned it from your book, but it did not seem to be appropriate for the 17th century.   Unfortunately I cannot get a close up that is clear of any contemporary models of the 17th century in my photos taken at Preble Hall to see what they used.   I only bring this up now as I am about to start making coamings  for the Charles Galley and want to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks again

Allan

Good Morning Allan;

I have looked through my pictures of models from the 17th century, and most of them show what can only be interpreted as half-lap joints. One has mitred corners. Most hatches and coamings seem to be simplified, made in the most convenient way for the modeller. 

Below is a clipping from the NMM's model called the 'Bonaventure', although this ID is not considered reliable. 1680s.

image.thumb.png.5da5afa3feb053926d18340ab901c5d6.png

Have you checked through any of the Kriegsteins' books on their collection? Might be a useful illustration in there.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thank you Mark 

Very much appreciated.  I really should put the Kriegstein collection on my birthday or Christmas list.  Thanks for that tip as well!!

Allan

Good Afternoon Allan;

A good idea; especially as there is a brand new book of their collection out today, or tomorrow. See Seaforth Publishing, I think.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thanks Mark, I will take a look at their website and print out the details and leave several copies in obtrusive places around the house, hint, hint, hint, hint for the admiral.

David, I do note in your drawing and the photo from Mark that the corners are well rounded, something I see missing on a lot of models.  Of course the rounding is pain in the neck as it is only above the deck line.  Nothing easy in getting it done right 😀

Allan

Actually, the rounding above deck is easy. Leave the corners square until after the deck is laid. A sharp chisel and a 45 degree cut just to the deck and a horizontal one at deck level. Then a few strokes of a sanding stick and you are done!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv