The Peggy of Castletown 1789 by Skiffy - scale n/a - virtual model - listed as an 'Armed Yacht'

Hello there! I introduced myself over on the New Member Intros' thread yesterday. Click here for link.

To paraphrase that post:

My name is Gary. I'm an animator by trade and teach at my local college. The reason I'm here is to seek advice with an unusual build. I've been tasked by the Manx National Heritage foundation to produce and animate a virtual model of The Peggy of Castletown, reported to be the oldest surviving schooner in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peggy_of_Castletown

The hope is to gain public interest in the boat to the point where she can be restored and displayed for public viewing. She's currently housed in a climate-controlled industrial warehouse unit. I've been lucky enough to explore what remains of the vessel and I'm currently researching how she might have been rigged for sail.

I'm hopeful that someone here may have an idea of how these early vessels were finished. This will be my research and 'build' thread.

So, on to specifics. You can see some basic info on the Peggy here on Wikipedia. A lot of the original craft survives, along with (separated) masts, cannon and a few sundries.

There's no surviving sail or rigging which is where I'll be doing some research and taking advice. :)

Here are a few screenshots of a video I shot when I visited her.

PeggyVisitVid_21092001.jpg

PeggyVisitVid_21092002.jpgPeggyVisitVid_21092003.jpg

PeggyVisitVid_21092004.jpg

Gary, it would be great if you could team with someone to build a model of the Peggy (drawings reside at NMM) while you're conducting your research. The model build might be supported by the Manx National Heritage foundation?

On 9/20/2021 at 5:14 PM, Keith Black said:

Gary, it would be great if you could team with someone to build a model of the Peggy (drawings reside at NMM) while you're conducting your research. The model build might be supported by the Manx National Heritage foundation?

I would imagine that some thing very similar to that idea is being discussed now. It does seem a logical step.

• The title was changed to The Peggy of Castletown 1789 by Skiffy - scale n/a - virtual model - listed as an 'Armed Yacht'