Lashing the Mainstay

I am having trouble figuring out what the lashing for the mainstay would be for a cutter. In Steel's table he refers to lashing ropes in addition to the seizing, and lanyards.

image.png.1b2b648a5b9d5d5eb75907d41b129a2a.png

The lashings are a larger diameter than the seizings, but it is not clear to me what they are. In the below diagram Goodwin makes no mention of lashings only calling numbers 5 and 9 seizing. A google search for lashings seems to indicate it was a bit like seizing but used to attach one rope to another. If anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it.

image.png.1bf98da074a18da358c0aa5cb5f81f4b.png

In my mind, lashing usually refers to attaching something to something,  whereas a seizing involves binding up a rope or line to itself.

Someone else would have to clarify what lashings might show up on a mainstay..

Goodwin doesn't appear to identify anything in the Alert book as a 'lashing'..

image.png.5c03db527dc35ad40f6ca9f0cb269273.png

In this drawing from Blandford,  Goodwin identifies No. 2 as the lashing for the jeer strop - 4...

image.png.b79c564022751420da807dd5aa9a9874.png

Just found this in Lavery's Bellona book  He identifies 7 as a lashing between the hearts on the mainstay.

So, this might be what steel is referring to.  The Alert doesn't have this arrangement.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

22 minutes ago, Gregory said:

In my mind, lashing usually refers to attaching something to something,  whereas a seizing involves binding up a rope or line to itself.

That would have been my understanding too.

22 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Just found this in Lavery's Bellona book  He identifies 7 as a lashing between the hearts on the mainstay.

So, this might be what steel is referring to.  The Alert doesn't have this arrangement.

Interestingly, the preventer stay on the alert does have the heart arrangement, but Steel only refers to lanyards in the table and Goodwin identifies the connection between the two hearts (very similar to the Lavery Bellona diagram) as being lanyards.