Belaying pin making from scratch and mounting - Branko Stipanovic Art case restorations

BrankoSNY

Hello, I have made a video on how to make a Belaying pin from scratch and how to install it. Hope you enjoy it. 

A Belaying Pin or pins, made for my miniature model ship. Making these miniature pieces, like the pin, can be tricky when you have big hands and fingers like me, but those same big fingers are very useful for positioning and securing small bits to their places in the model. 

This set of belaying pins was made from toothpicks and shaved to the correct size and shape with a very sharp blade. Such tiny pieces and the use of sharp instruments can lead to cut fingers, but you soon learn how to avoid this pitfall. 

In history, we can read many anecdotes about the uses of a belaying pin as both a tool and a weapon. We read about pins made from whale teeth in Herman Melville's Moby Dick, Iron belaying pins feature in Raphael Sabatini's "Columbus" too. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVAr2U2vo54&list=PL5g6B09m0wL3EOzxDgJNi9-IqQeWs-rMM&index=9&ab_channel=BrankoStipanovic

Hi Branko,

Thank you for your video.

Sabatini may be mistaken as I don't believe belaying pins were used in the 15th century, and if they were, certainly not made of iron.  From research and discussing here at MSW in some depth it appears belaying pins of any kind really would not have been used until sometime in the 18th century so there would be none on a model such as in your video.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU