Boats / launches for Revenge 1577

Greetings!

I am looking for a ships boat to compliment my Revenge build.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a commercially available ships boat kit that would be close enough for this period.  I've seen what is available with Vanguard Models and Master Korabel but these are meant for ships of the 18th century and I think may not be appropriate for the 16th century.  I might be able to modify a kit but I've not had much luck finding a picture of said boat.

Thanks

Jeff

To the best of my knowledge nothing that could be considered to be design information exists for Sixteenth Century English Ships Boats.

The Anthony Roll drawn in the mid 1500’s shows a double ended lapstrake boat being towed behind each vessel illustrated.  In the 1500’s large ships boats were towed, not carried aboard.

No small boat has of yet been recovered from the wreck site of the Mary Rose.  

Two boats were recovered from the wreckage of the 1577 Spanish whaling ship San Juan; a whaleboat, and a Barco, a larger boat more closely resembling a Longboat.  Plans for the whaleboat have been published.  None for the Barco.  Google: Red Bay Galleon.

Assuming that you’re trying to build an accurate model, best to skip the small boat.

Roger

According to W E May in his "The Boats of Men of War", a survey conducted of the Royal Navy a little later than your period - in 1618 - showed that 1st, 2nd and 3rd rates were carrying three boats; a longboat, a pinnace and a skiff.  We would find the boats carried to be very large.  May mentions various dimensions for the longboats carried which were about half the keel length of the ship carrying them.  Pinnaces varied wildly in size, but were standardised at between 26 and 29 feet, while skiffs were around 20 feet.

John

John