HMS President by Craigie65 - Sergal - Scale 1:64

Finally I have plucked up the courage to post my build of Sergal's HMS President. The kit was bought several years ago after thinking that plastic was cheating ;)  I only got as far as assembling the keel, bulkheads, false deck and one strip of the first planking before it ended in the cupboard and I turned to the dark side of model aircraft :P  

Last year, July I think, I came across the kit in the cupboard and decided to have another crack. Well a year later I am close to finishing. :dancetl6:

So here are a few pics

post-5606-0-35762000-1375540057_thumb.jpg

post-5606-0-81343700-1375541613.jpg

post-5606-0-01366800-1375540091_thumb.jpg

post-5606-0-38020500-1375540865_thumb.jpg

The plans from the kit seemed nowhere close to how I imagined a ship should be rigged. So I purchased Lennarth Petersson's book on rigging period ships. At the moment I am adding the braces but have run out of blocks to do the topgallant braces.  The kit has nowhere near enough!  I think I'll skip the cluelines and sheets.

While I was doing the Fore and Fore topsail braces I noticed that main stay was above the preventer stay :(

post-5606-0-85443300-1375540629_thumb.jpg

So out with the knife and the preventer stay is now in the right place

post-5606-0-37200700-1375540681_thumb.jpg

I can see some more rigging errors (too many fore stays as I don't have a flying jib boom) but I am not about to re-rig this.

The model is a good one for a beginner like me but probably not very accurate - I am sure the carronades would destroy the main and fore channels! I think I read that it might not be a real ship!

I have purchased HM Bomb Vessel Granado from Caldercraft after coming across Timmo's excellent build while on holiday. I will start a build log once I receive the bulkheads - yes I 2 keels and no bulkheads. Jotika/Caldercraft is on the case.

Craig

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

• 2 months later...

Hi Craig,

I too am a beginner and am building this "design" of a frigate.

You're right - PRESIDENT never sailed in this guise but as a starter kit I think that this ship offers enough challenges.

From me - I think you've done a great job and there are lots of pointers for me to glean information from - that said - if you encoutnered any specific challenges that you think I should know of please let me know!!!

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Simon

I have completed the President and will try and get a few more pics posted

I have been busy with the Granado and have not been on line for ages

Good luck with your build

You asked for some pointers

If you want a pedestal stand pre drill the slots in the keel before you plank. My ship has a list :(

Don't be put off by the quality of some of the timber. Especially the wales. If I was doing this again I think I would use a few layers rather than trying to bend one piece that kept splitting. This was especially true of the capping rail for the forecastle.

The rigging is really basic and I decided to try and replicate something more akin to,what it should be. However you will need to think about racks for belying pins. I was lazy and used copper eyelets rather than struggle to retrofit them. Also this meant buying lots more blocks etc

I think I am overscale on some of the cordage and will look to use finer rigging thread on the Granado

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Just remembered I had problems with the gratings You need to be careful as you are supposed to get three gratings out of the parts provided. I just thought there would be enough for three separate gratings but no you need to share. I ended up buying another pack

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

• 2 months later...