San Francisco II by Koerant - Artesania Latina - 1:90

Hello everyone. The time has finally come to start work on my second model. The San Francisco II. I chose this one because I wanted a nice-looking, decent sized ship with canons. I went online and this was the cheapest one I could find with those requirements. I don't know much about the ship other than the name. If it turns out like the picture on the box, I’d be happy. I really hope that I learned from the many mistakes on my first build.

So, without further ado, here goes. Step one, open the box.

sfii_log_001.JPG.d07ae11a0b351e4ec9beade03b73306e.JPG

It does not look like a lot of components. How on earth will this turn into that ship…

It comes without a printed manual. I loaded the instructional PDF on my phone, and I must admit it is quite nice using it like that instead of the printed manual.

I started out by cutting out the parts required for the first few steps and then dry fitting them together. First thing to notice is that the parts fit quite easily, almost too easy. There is a small gap when fitting the cut pieces together. Looks like about 0.5mm. Seems like either the plywood used is too thin or the laser cutting was too generous. Should not be a major issue as I guess I can just make sure one side is glued very well.

sfii_log_002.JPG.25a9344f07d1a4dea3e49099487d3444.JPGsfii_log_003.JPG.e0b14d2f279f7a9be05f78e760bf81a4.JPG

I saw some build videos and most of the people used rubber bands in the assembly, I tried it and I have to say, it is a game changer for me. Wish I knew about this earlier.

sfii_log_004.JPG.d3ed31c9078c9fb51586a041accdf899.JPGsfii_log_005.JPG.db7d7cea7843aa04849f26123522c714.JPG

And here we go, the stopping point for the weekend. Finished the structure and transom assembly.

sfii_log_006.JPG.e6cbf46dbe1542b4e75b2edf066af86f.JPG

Up next is the planking of the decks.

Looking good so far. I haven't had the pleasure of working a one of the new generation wooden kits yet but the contents sure look good on your pictures.

One thing that might be a turn off (at least for me) could be the lack of a paper instruction booklet, since I would not like my laptop to be set up next to a woodworking station.

On the bench : Revell's Calypso

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Cathead said:

Any further progress after your good start?

There has not been any progress since my last post - unless you count the new toolbox I bought last week to store all my modeling tools in.

February has been a busy month and March is not looking any better. The way things are going I will only be able to build again in April. But I have not forgotten about it, I did not store the ship away in a closet, it is out in the open as constant reminder when I walk past it to get back to work as soon as possible.