BOWDOIN by Don37 - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1:48 - Artic Expedition Schooner

BOWDOIN Log 2/16/22:  The planking is moving along at a nice pace - slowly.  I think this is the truly fun part of any plank on frame model; so, I am taking my time and maximizing the enjoyment.  The instructions called for starting at the top of the subdeck and fastening 5 planks down before moving to the garboard plank and proceeding up the hull.  I did 7 planks down from the subdeck as the 6th and 7th plank fit nicely.  Now working from the garboard plank up and will do a few large stealer planks instead of many small ones.

Bowdoin 021622B.jpg

Bowdoin 021622A.jpg

Hi Don,

It's looking great! That's a lovely neat line you've got where the starboard and port planking joins up at the stern.

It's probably already occurred to you, but when you get to putting the stealers in, it's worth trying to make them terminate on one of the bulkheads rather than in the gaps between. That way you shouldn't have any problems with them dipping into the hull or sinking away from the sandpaper or scraper when you're trying to get the hull smooth.  Ask me how I know ;)

Looking forward to seeing your next update!

Rob