Flying Fish by Rick310 - Model Shipways - 1/96

32 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

Buttersworth  got her bow all wrong.   How is that even possible?

Rob

Rob,

It's my belief that even artists couldn't quite figure out how to capture the unique McKay bow. I was commenting on the fact that this painting's bow silhouette definitely displays a more dramatic prow then just a bare stem. If, as it appears likely that Buttersworth painted this vessel while she was at anchor in San Francisco, he would of necessity had to have been quite a distance away to capture the entire vessel. I love the beautiful inspiring works of Buttersworth but recognize he often makes mistakes, especially around the bows of McKay's clippers. Take the Sovereign of the Seas for example. It's a gorgeous piece of work. But his merman has a tail that goes impossibly across the bow. 

James_Buttersworth_Sovereign_of_the_Seas.jpg

Thanks you ClipperFan for your kind words and encouragement!  
I too am at a loss about Buttersworth’s work.  While I believe his paintings are incredible, there are features in his paintings that make me question the accuracy, such as a furled sail on the forestay on the FF painting, and his painting of the Westward Ho, he depicts both Spencer sails and staysails set at the same time.  Maybe this is correct?

As far as the bow of the Flying Fish, I also wasn’t sure how to model it and ended up trying to come up with something that was close to the painting.

Rick

2 hours ago, Rick310 said:

Thanks you ClipperFan for your kind words and encouragement!  
I too am at a loss about Buttersworth’s work.  While I believe his paintings are incredible, there are features in his paintings that make me question the accuracy, such as a furled sail on the forestay on the FF painting, and his painting of the Westward Ho, he depicts both Spencer sails and staysails set at the same time.  Maybe this is correct?

As far as the bow of the Flying Fish, I also wasn’t sure how to model it and ended up trying to come up with something that was close to the painting.

Rick

@Rick310 

About the only contemporary artist I've seen who has accurately captured McKay's fascinating clippers has been the British artist Samuel Walters. His Glory of the Seas clearly depicts her gilded, carved navel hood, cutwater and figurehead accurately. I still get great inspiration from Buttersworth's gorgeous works but don't rely on them for modeling accuracy.

FYI: in our research of McKay's initial clipper Stag Hound and her solid focstle bulkhead, I came across yet another misinterpretation of Duncan MacLean's words. Flying Fish the vessel you're constructing has about the most complete description of her low mounted focstle deck. Her main rail was a mere 4 & 1/2 feet with a 16" monkey rail above it, for combined bulwark height of 5 feet 10 inches. Here's where I believe current  plans have gotten it wrong. In his particular listing of ship's accomodations, McLean often refers to apartments from aft to foreword. His description of the water closets (heads) says that they're before her companions, not aft. Knowing how McLean describes deck furniture from aft to fore, this says that the water closets were not on the main deck but below in the accomodations for use of one watch. Down there too would be the windlass because leaving it on deck is effectively a crawl space when you take into account deck beams. That means the front focstle bulkhead wouldn't have been open but a complete wall possibly with windows to allow light into the interior 7 & 1/2 feet below. This is how Rob and I are looking at the focstle bulkhead for Stag Hound.

I am not suggesting you do anything to your current build. I'm just sharing this latest development to raise awareness.

20240821_132447.jpg

20240821_132549.jpg

20240821_133321.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Rick, I was reviewing your log *again*, Well, first of all, I want to say you have done a superb job for sure...your build is so clean and neat...not to mention well built.  You're like myself in that you tend to scratch build many components yourself..🙂...Oh wait....I scratch build everything.......😄

Anyway.  have you researched the single topsail Jin block haulyard...yourself, or are you simply following the kit plan?  I ask....because the Staghound also had a single topsail yard and, I will be rigging her in similar fashion....but I want to make sure the system you used is the same used for Staghound...or if different, I want to make sure I know this in advance.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

A bit more research shows that the Staghound was larger than the Flying fish.  17 Ft longer and 29 tons heavier.  Duncan McLean says the Fish employed *double topsail yard Tye's and haulyards.  Well, the Staghound had 4ft longer main topsail yards then did the Flying Fish.  However, Duncan McLean doesn't describe the Staghound having *double* Tye's and haulyards. He simply says, "Tye's and haulyards.  I can only assume he wasn't that clear when describing his first McKay clipper. As far as her rigging was concerned.

If the Flying Fish had them...and she was smaller in every regard....I can only conclude the Staghound employed them as well.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Rob,

Yes, I am following the plans.  I know of no other source for the double topsail halyard tyes.

The model of the clipper ship Challenge, at the Smithsonian has chain topsail halyards that appear to be the same as on the FF, although it is difficult to  see where they route under the cross trees.

I would think that Staghound was similarly equipped, given that it was larger than the FF.

Some very impressive people worked on the FF plans, so they are my default if no or better information is available.

As you know, I have deviated from the plans when I felt it was appropriate, such as the aft cabin, color scheme and other minor details.

You and ClipperFan are doing a marvelous job recreating Staghound.

Rick