Flying Fish by Rick310 - Model Shipways - 1/96

"Her hood ends are bolted alternately from either side, through each other and the stem, so that the loss of her cutwater wouldn't affect her safety or cause a leak."

This quote is verbatim from Duncan MacLean's, April 25, 1851 Boston Daily Atlas article with its' usual lengthy description of McKay's most famous Extreme Clipper Flying Cloud. Why is this relevant to your build of the Flying Fish? Because such a successful  robust nautical design component, which originated with McKay's inaugural Extreme Clipper Stag Hound wouldn't have been abandoned lightly. However it would have been tightly guarded as a design element by Donald McKay himself. If you harbor any doubts, just look at McKay's Clipper Lightning. Reproductions of her prow mysteriously end in a blank space. 

This may almost sound heretical but I'm convinced that until the exhaustive, methodical research done on Glory of the Seas uncovered a photographically accurate McKay bow, none of the models of McKay Clippers have been accurate. That includes the spectacular 1930s large Boucher model of Flying Cloud. That's due to none including naval hoods or cutwaters. They all leave just a bare stem, tacking on the figurehead underneath the bowsprit almost as an aforethought. Which is exactly how your Flying Fish model plans appear too. 

As a visual aid, I've attached a close up image of the bow of Glory. Naval Hoods are the large curving devices just over her figurehead, cutwaters are the ornately carved arch mounted just below her figurehead. The stem is hidden by the cutwater.

I've done some proper reconstructions of the real appearance of your clipper, including a more lifelike flying fish figurehead. You can decide how much, if any you want to incorporate

20210208_182645.jpg

20211111_134142.jpg

20211203_132253.jpg

20220531_131554.jpg

20210205_225546.jpg

53 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

I would surely like to now where these model makers get their data from to make such decisions?  What body of photographs or first hand accounts do they draw from?

As far as I know...I and my *team* have put in several years of precise research, thanks in great part to Michael Mjelde's own life time work.

The reason I ask...is so many kit drawings depict structures that do not follow the historical pattern of the Builder.  Trade marks shall we say.

Rob

Rob,

Part of the oversight is the fact that a lot of American ship modeling seems to have descended from Popular Mechanics style do-it-yourself articles geared towards a general population looking to create an impressive mantle piece object. Topics such as figureheads were as inaccurate as to describe options, such as a fiddlehead or mermaid decoration for McKay's Clipper Sovereign of  the Seas! Personally, I owe a great debt of gratitude to Lars Bruzelius. His website is where I have found dozens of great, highly specific documentation of many popular McKay vessels, including lesser known Clippers as Santa Claus, Bald Eagle and Mastiff amongst others. That's where I first learned of such critical nautical devices as naval hoods and cutwaters, which completely alter the appearance of a McKay Clipper bow. 

Rob,

I can't imagine any museum not being truly excited to put your fabulous model on display. I can see her posed direcly in front of that 1877 reference picture you have of Glory docked in San Francisco. Better yet, maybe she can become a traveling exhibit, going from museum to museum. That way, I might finally get to see her in person myself!

18 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob,

I can't imagine any museum not being truly excited to put your fabulous model on display. I can see her posed direcly in front of that 1877 reference picture you have of Glory docked in San Francisco. Better yet, maybe she can become a traveling exhibit, going from museum to museum. That way, I might finally get to see her in person myself!

Personally...Mike's collection of images alone would make for a fantastic display.  But couple them with my Model of her... I think  that would make a wonderful exhibit.

Something to work on.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Rob and ClipperFan, I could not agree with you more. I believe a lot of clipper ship models are pretty much the same with boiler plate items such as three masts, deck cabins, boats, cargo hatches, maybe the figurehead, capstan and windless thrown in because it would’ve been common to all ships at that time. Probably did some research on the number of yards per mast and possibly a general paint scheme. But I am sure a lot of models are developed with ‘hey this is what they did’ and not a lot of thought to historical accuracy such as deck cabins, forecastle layout, especially the rig etc.  I would like to think that the flying cloud model at the Boston Museum of Art had research behind it but then I also believe some items were just standard on all clipper ships with little thought given to individual ships

This is what makes your work on Glory of the Seas so valuable.

1 hour ago, Rick310 said:

Rob and ClipperFan, I could not agree with you more. I believe a lot of clipper ship models are pretty much the same with boiler plate items such as three masts, deck cabins, boats, cargo hatches, maybe the figurehead, capstan and windless thrown in because it would’ve been common to all ships at that time. Probably did some research on the number of yards per mast and possibly a general paint scheme. But I am sure a lot of models are developed with ‘hey this is what they did’ and not a lot of thought to historical accuracy such as deck cabins, forecastle layout, especially the rig etc.  I would like to think that the flying cloud model at the Boston Museum of Art had research behind it but then I also believe some items were just standard on all clipper ships with little thought given to individual ships

This is what makes your work on Glory of the Seas so valuable.

Rick,

With Mike's encouragement, I've already prepared a 30+ page in-depth article to be submitted before July 1st to the Nautical Research Journal. It's very image heavy but not because they're extraneous. The pictures included are actually integral to the topics discussed. Since Mike has told me he really enjoyed reading it, I'm confident it will be published. Earliest would be their Winter issue, probably this December. 

After that, I plan on starting my own topic in research. It will be on the topic of finally realizing authentic looks of Donald McKay's Clippers.

McKay had secrets.  If most general items on a clipper were needed for function……what deeply guarded secrets did McKay keep to himself?

Surely it wasn’t the use of capstans, or the use of cabin ventilation.

It was structural. 

McKay’s habit was to use superior materials and processes in construction.  Even putting the first steam Donkey engine on a clipper(Great Republic). 
I agree with Rich……..the Naval Hood….is almost unique to a McKay clipper, and if such a structural devise was utilized on the last clipper McKay build…….which I might add, was considered by most historians, as his greatest creation, then why not on all of his history making clippers?  Duncan MacLean seamed to think it was a significant attribute.

I agree.  

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

7 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

McKay had secrets.  If most general items on a clipper were needed for function……what deeply guarded secrets did McKay keep to himself?

Surely it wasn’t the use of capstans, or the use of cabin ventilation.

It was structural. 

McKay’s habit was to use superior materials and processes in construction.  Even putting the first steam Donkey engine on a clipper(Great Republic). 
I agree with Rich……..the Naval Hood….is almost unique to a McKay clipper, and if such a structural devise was utilized on the last clipper McKay build…….which I might add, was considered by most historians, as his greatest creation, then why not on all of his history making clippers?  Duncan MacLean seamed to think it was a significant attribute.

I agree.  

Rob

Rob and Rick,

No surprise, I agree completely with Rob's conclusion. I write this, not to hijack your Flying Fish posts but to reinforce the importance for yours and all future Flying Fish builds, even to get all future McKay Clipper models constructed accurately. This unveiling of a universal nautical feature of all Donald McKay Clippers hasn't occured possibly since the launch of Flying Cloud in the Spring of 1851! In fact, I have not even seen one accurate example of Flying Cloud herself. None has ever been built, including a two-thirds scale version of her docked in East Boston in the '70s. That beautiful Clipper was constructed by the same skilled Lunenberg, Nova Scotian ship builders who constructed the 1963 HMS Bounty!

In a way, it's a back handed slap, a tribute to McKay's jealous protection of his savvy marine ideas. Perhaps, posthumously his spirit's finally decided to set the record straight. Even though, for those who can read and view images with discrimination, these have been somewhat open secrets....

"This magnificent ship has been the wonder of all who have seen her. Not only is she the largest of her class afloat, but her model may be said to be the original of a new idea in naval architecture." The New Clipper Stag Hound, Boston Daily Atlas, December 21, 1850 (italics added for emphasis)

There's a "blink and you'll miss it" reference to the bow construction of this revolutionary new Donald McKay Extreme Clipper Ship. Here's all the author says on the subject. In fact, it's actually a single, almost toss off sentence: "An idea of its sharpness may be formed from the fact that, at the load displacement line (as the cutwater is tapered to an angle) a flat surface applied to the bow from its extreme, would show no angle at the hood ends." (again italics added for emphasis). 

In fact, Duncan MacLean never uses the term naval hoods until his more in-depth description of McKay's second Extreme Clipper Flying Cloud. That's where he makes his critical observation of the incredible strength of such a brilliant construct. To get an idea of this built in ruggedness, take a look at the relative open, near frailness of the Tea Clipper Cutty Sark.

So, is it any surprise to see this very same marine architecture utilized by Donald McKay in his self-funded, desperate last build to save his shipyard and very livelihood? Think about it, McKay literally spared no expense, employing the very best materials in building his Glory of the Seas. It's noteworthy that his reliable stem, protected by cutwater surmounted by naval hoods are all there to the end.

5 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

To get an idea of this built in ruggedness, take a look at the relative open, near frailness of the Tea Clipper Cutty Sark.

I think we can agree that McKay was a great naval architect without beating up on the Cutty Sark. The two ships were designed for different purposes (tea trade vs. going around Cape Horn) and Linton designed around composite construction rather than all wood.

It would frankly have been interesting to see what McKay would have done with composite construction (and steam) had the yard survived. The Essex that he built in 1874-1876 (although I don't know if he designed it) wasn't stricken from the Navy rolls until 1930(!)

George K

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

1 hour ago, gak1965 said:

I think we can agree that McKay was a great naval architect without beating up on the Cutty Sark. The two ships were designed for different purposes (tea trade vs. going around Cape Horn) and Linton designed around composite construction rather than all wood.

It would frankly have been interesting to see what McKay would have done with composite construction (and steam) had the yard survived. The Essex that he built in 1874-1876 (although I don't know if he designed it) wasn't stricken from the Navy rolls until 1930(!)

George K

George,

I meant no insult to the legendary Tea Clipper Cutty Sark and for that disparagement, unintentional as it was on behalf of the Bonnie Scottish Lass, I apologize. After all, Cutty Sark herself is a most successful survivor whilst poor old Glory of the Seas was burnt to cinders. My point was the lost design uniqueness of McKay's Clippers, which has been buried for well over a century is finally coming to light.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it’s been awhile since my last post, summer has finally come to Maine and that means outside chores ie gardening and spring cleanup.  It also means the start of visitors coming, along with our regular work schedule.  The result is less time in the workshop.  So for the last month I have been working on making the catheads.  This involved cutting 3/16 x 3/16 boxwood strips 5/8 inches long.  I then made copies of the catheads on the plans which I had to reduce 50% to bring them to scale.  These were then glued to the strips with white Elmers glue.  

The catheads on the Flying Fish curve gracefully upward as they extend out from the hull.  On the aft side is the anchor release mechanism, 3 sheaves on the end and 2 holes for the jib boom guy hearts.  Although the plans don’t specify a cathead ornament, it appears to be a lion’s head on the China trade painting.

So the challenges to cut the curve of the catheads on a scroll saw, drill the holes for  retaining bolts and the sheaves aka EdT and the Young America, decide and fabricate the anchor release mechanism and attempt to carve 2 lions head.  Plan B is to see if a decal can be made of the ornaments.

I immediately ran into problems with the scroll saw which I am truly terrible at.  Scratch one attempt.  I did end up with 2 That I was happy with.  Next was to use the milling machine to drill the holes for the sheaves and bolts.  I apparently did not have the catheads alighted parallel in my vice and the holes where off.  This is a conspicuous feature of the catheads and need to be correct

.  Scratch second attempt.  It did teach me to be more careful and to constantly check my measurements.  I finally got 2 catheads that I was please with.

Next step was to decide on the anchor release mechanism.  I didn’t like the one shown on the plans so I decided to go with the alternative which is a straight bar with a handle held in place with 3 eyebolts.  I couldn’t make one like EdT made for YA as the handle has to set up outside the rail.  After several attempts to solder knobs on the handles, unsuccessfully, I placed solder on the ends and when heated (fluxed(?),  look like knobs.  I also made ringbolts for the inboard ends, although not shown on my the plans.  The catheads on the Benjamin. Packard have this feature and it seems reasonable that there would be something to attach a snatch block too temporarily.  All eyebolts were made from 26 ga. copper wire spun per EdT and blackened.  I also made shackles for the gib boom guy hearts from 26 ga. copper wire.  Again thank you EdT.  I then filed holes in 2.5 mm deadeyes to make the hearts.  Finally I was faced with carving the cat head ornaments.  Fortunately I have a real cat head ornament that I bought years ago from a marine antique dealer.  The carving is a lions head which I use for a pattern.  Again, after several attempts I have 2 to that I can use.  They’re pretty crude but hopefully serviceable.  I hope to complete these catheads this week.B7D1FD82-B20D-4B50-A3D6-E19FE66B91A3.thumb.jpeg.c381a82b62e4a99a52ad0e8019951407.jpeg95093E1C-4E21-4F44-8D9F-6F955EE05670.thumb.jpeg.7212b3743ae21173818d73c183707274.jpeg5D1F2283-77B6-4813-B38F-875E9FDB7C22.thumb.jpeg.ea925e140982ba41ad120cf2b8c0ceb9.jpeg4733BFBB-CC62-45F0-9F1A-3836AD47F37C.thumb.jpeg.4d0d8846eb022f2b1dda02bdf2b65053.jpeg59B6E3F9-1D27-447C-8DFF-4A243AFE09DF.thumb.jpeg.1676b2b82302b9c6906aefbeca5510cd.jpeg5EF44A3D-4FBF-4F38-AFD4-207DF0E88FC1.thumb.jpeg.2b8cabc6a75bf4c491edf711826b3723.jpeg84C41BF4-8C01-4D8C-9406-CAD2054AFBAD.thumb.jpeg.3735e5c2dff715f1d965477a8a1d21df.jpeg7649F7BD-36B5-4A43-957D-47DD8073ED91.thumb.jpeg.380c4569a87488a14cfdc31e7b8c5c2a.jpeg

207E75D1-B16F-4930-A3EF-B0D60EF4B33F.jpeg

I admire that you are making your own eyebolts and those shackles are amazing. How did you the wood parts in? Was there enough flexibility that you could pop the (former) deadeyes in and have the shackle retain it's shape?

I think your cathead ornaments are great. Anything at 1:96 is going to be challenging, and I had a time making a simple star from copper tape - those are much better!

George 

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Thanks George for all your kind words..  your model is coming along great!!  
I have to give all the credit to EdT and his magnificent 3 volume set on building the Young America.  I have only copied his techniques. At least the ones I’m capable of doing..  I truly could not build the Flying Fish without his step by step instructions.

To answer your question, the eyebolts were spun from 26 ga copper wire I bought from Amazon..  it’s pretty soft and I bent a straight pin and a small diameter brass rod into a hook to twist the copper wire,  I held the hook in a pair of parallel pliers which actually clamp on the hook.  Using a little back pressure, I twist the wire which is held in a vice.  Very quick and very easy.  I can change the size of the eye depending on how tight I twist the wire.F47E3C75-AE75-4787-893B-0512171CF197.thumb.jpeg.9647c864ee040cca04cdf69f3ab35925.jpeg3EF2E511-29FC-495B-BDBF-86D8F8FF6698.thumb.jpeg.fd3e119a11b9db0a21b5162100e876c9.jpeg8C9A8E83-CCF7-41F8-BE8F-AAF405BD2FFD.thumb.jpeg.8dacc308a7242d80b53e93e0806c6fd2.jpegCB679F8A-83A1-4B6C-BC15-D9C9143D2FDC.thumb.jpeg.5c3993c15ff055d37e11e1a1de6e2511.jpeg077742D3-8B3C-44D3-B7F4-EDF9C4D37756.thumb.jpeg.09d9592b3008bc2d129e87528454f526.jpeg

21 hours ago, Rick310 said:

Well it’s been awhile since my last post, summer has finally come to Maine and that means outside chores ie gardening and spring cleanup.  It also means the start of visitors coming, along with our regular work schedule.  The result is less time in the workshop.  So for the last month I have been working on making the catheads.  This involved cutting 3/16 x 3/16 boxwood strips 5/8 inches long.  I then made copies of the catheads on the plans which I had to reduce 50% to bring them to scale.  These were then glued to the strips with white Elmers glue.  

The catheads on the Flying Fish curve gracefully upward as they extend out from the hull.  On the aft side is the anchor release mechanism, 3 sheaves on the end and 2 holes for the jib boom guy hearts.  Although the plans don’t specify a cathead ornament, it appears to be a lion’s head on the China trade painting.

So the challenges to cut the curve of the catheads on a scroll saw, drill the holes for  retaining bolts and the sheaves aka EdT and the Young America, decide and fabricate the anchor release mechanism and attempt to carve 2 lions head.  Plan B is to see if a decal can be made of the ornaments.

I immediately ran into problems with the scroll saw which I am truly terrible at.  Scratch one attempt.  I did end up with 2 That I was happy with.  Next was to use the milling machine to drill the holes for the sheaves and bolts.  I apparently did not have the catheads alighted parallel in my vice and the holes where off.  This is a conspicuous feature of the catheads and need to be correct

.  Scratch second attempt.  It did teach me to be more careful and to constantly check my measurements.  I finally got 2 catheads that I was please with.

Next step was to decide on the anchor release mechanism.  I didn’t like the one shown on the plans so I decided to go with the alternative which is a straight bar with a handle held in place with 3 eyebolts.  I couldn’t make one like EdT made for YA as the handle has to set up outside the rail.  After several attempts to solder knobs on the handles, unsuccessfully, I placed solder on the ends and when heated (fluxed(?),  look like knobs.  I also made ringbolts for the inboard ends, although not shown on my the plans.  The catheads on the Benjamin. Packard have this feature and it seems reasonable that there would be something to attach a snatch block too temporarily.  All eyebolts were made from 26 ga. copper wire spun per EdT and blackened.  I also made shackles for the gib boom guy hearts from 26 ga. copper wire.  Again thank you EdT.  I then filed holes in 2.5 mm deadeyes to make the hearts.  Finally I was faced with carving the cat head ornaments.  Fortunately I have a real cat head ornament that I bought years ago from a marine antique dealer.  The carving is a lions head which I use for a pattern.  Again, after several attempts I have 2 to that I can use.  They’re pretty crude but hopefully serviceable.  I hope to complete these catheads this week.B7D1FD82-B20D-4B50-A3D6-E19FE66B91A3.thumb.jpeg.c381a82b62e4a99a52ad0e8019951407.jpeg95093E1C-4E21-4F44-8D9F-6F955EE05670.thumb.jpeg.7212b3743ae21173818d73c183707274.jpeg5D1F2283-77B6-4813-B38F-875E9FDB7C22.thumb.jpeg.ea925e140982ba41ad120cf2b8c0ceb9.jpeg4733BFBB-CC62-45F0-9F1A-3836AD47F37C.thumb.jpeg.4d0d8846eb022f2b1dda02bdf2b65053.jpeg59B6E3F9-1D27-447C-8DFF-4A243AFE09DF.thumb.jpeg.1676b2b82302b9c6906aefbeca5510cd.jpeg5EF44A3D-4FBF-4F38-AFD4-207DF0E88FC1.thumb.jpeg.2b8cabc6a75bf4c491edf711826b3723.jpeg84C41BF4-8C01-4D8C-9406-CAD2054AFBAD.thumb.jpeg.3735e5c2dff715f1d965477a8a1d21df.jpeg7649F7BD-36B5-4A43-957D-47DD8073ED91.thumb.jpeg.380c4569a87488a14cfdc31e7b8c5c2a.jpeg

207E75D1-B16F-4930-A3EF-B0D60EF4B33F.jpeg

Rick, 

Thanks for filling us in on your meticulous construction process. Your antique cathead carving is terrifying and very much reminiscent of the horrifying gargoyles stationed on the corners of medieval cathedrals and castles. Their intent was to scare away evil spirits with their frightening countenances. I'm reminded how sailors too are a very superstitious lot, so too in a weird way, these menacing visages on the end of catheads must have served a similar purpose. Very effective.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:24 AM, Rick310 said:

Thanks George for all your kind words..  your model is coming along great!!  
I have to give all the credit to EdT and his magnificent 3 volume set on building the Young America.  I have only copied his techniques. At least the ones I’m capable of doing..  I truly could not build the Flying Fish without his step by step instructions.

To answer your question, the eyebolts were spun from 26 ga copper wire I bought from Amazon..  it’s pretty soft and I bent a straight pin and a small diameter brass rod into a hook to twist the copper wire,  I held the hook in a pair of parallel pliers which actually clamp on the hook.  Using a little back pressure, I twist the wire which is held in a vice.  Very quick and very easy.  I can change the size of the eye depending on how tight I twist the wire.F47E3C75-AE75-4787-893B-0512171CF197.thumb.jpeg.9647c864ee040cca04cdf69f3ab35925.jpeg3EF2E511-29FC-495B-BDBF-86D8F8FF6698.thumb.jpeg.fd3e119a11b9db0a21b5162100e876c9.jpeg8C9A8E83-CCF7-41F8-BE8F-AAF405BD2FFD.thumb.jpeg.8dacc308a7242d80b53e93e0806c6fd2.jpegCB679F8A-83A1-4B6C-BC15-D9C9143D2FDC.thumb.jpeg.5c3993c15ff055d37e11e1a1de6e2511.jpeg077742D3-8B3C-44D3-B7F4-EDF9C4D37756.thumb.jpeg.09d9592b3008bc2d129e87528454f526.jpeg

Great job....just about the way I do it....cept I use a plier and  a stainless hook in a pinvise.

You'll need to make *millions* of these in various sizes...so do so as quickly and effortlessly as possible.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

16 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rick,

June 10th was my one year in remission from last years big surgery. I'm fully recovered and thanks for your compassion. 

Wow...time flies Rich.  Congrats!

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

On 6/30/2022 at 8:23 PM, ClipperFan said:

Rick,

June 10th was my one year in remission from last years big surgery. I'm fully recovered and thanks for your compassion. 

Didn't even realize you had surgery. Glad to hear you hit the first of hopefully many anniversaries!

2 hours ago, Rick310 said:

George, just saw your post.  That is great news! My thoughts and prayers will be with you my friend! Keep up the good work on the flying fish you’re leading the way!

It is Rich ( @ClipperFan) that reached the milestone, not me. So far, I've been lucky, and only needed some minor knee surgery. But +1 on your wishes for him!

And thanks for the vote of confidence on the ship!

Edited by gak1965

• 2 months later...

It’s been awhile since my last post, but that’s summer in Maine.  With outside chores, vacation, work and visitors, work on the Fish has been slow.  It was my goal to get the forecastle finished by June, but here it is September and I’m finally finishing it.  That plus nothing seems to be easy and takes much longer than anticipated.  But here I am.

I finished the taffrail which took several tries.  I use basswood which I boiled for 15-20 minutes (not long enough).  These were placed in a crude jig to get the curve.  I installed the section from the companionway roof to the catheads with glue and pins.

The cat heads were then finished, I painted the outboard section black and the inboard section white.  This paint scheme copies the model of the Snow Squall at the Maine maritime museum in Bath, Me.  The 2 hearts for the jib boom guys were added on the fore side while the anchor release mechanism was added on the aft side.  The catheads were then glued and pinned with 3 copper bolts.  The forward portion of the taffrail was then added.  This was difficult because of how the bow sections both port and starboard rails meet.  A challenge producing the inside curve.  

After this, I made and installed the forward pin rail for the head sail sheets.  This appears to me to be too crowded but that’s probably because in reality, the belaying pins are out of scale.

The next item was to make and install the splash rails. I found these to be finicky and also a challenge to make. I initially used basswood but was not pleased with the several attempts to fabricate them.  I then decided to use boxwood which after shaping and cutting in the notches for the mooring fairleads and the cat heads, I boiled them for a half hour then placed them in the the jig to get the curve. This was much more successful which I discovered after re-reading EdT’s Young America.  I painted the inboard side Pearl gray to match the bulwarks and the outside black. These are then glued in pinned into place.

A9974104-B46E-4320-BEBF-3DC2846E4C15.thumb.jpeg.5b2c2e220c9eea999516110bead083cd.jpeg5648DF35-944B-4908-8CAA-656291ABB42C.thumb.jpeg.03e0ba970d887de87ae33f68ac46195d.jpeg8548DB87-E629-453A-B357-5A2069178C97.thumb.jpeg.65dd19cbb3f27934ce48ce29d8027641.jpegF50C0577-8C8B-412B-A4F8-8FA1147BD6BA.thumb.jpeg.93c7281d59db1f6d6d7be44d7eff9237.jpegAE4BF093-5F35-433C-B78B-895A3C623968.thumb.jpeg.81ef6a275258053de7da61eab75b25c7.jpeg343CCFF3-242B-47B9-9830-8CF492473E0A.thumb.jpeg.9b8ef20cb3c02b0548380a7513b22122.jpegE3812663-0CBB-429E-A1CB-323D939C741D.thumb.jpeg.ea787f3d831e5b2162a109baa7948a87.jpeg2E540A44-3556-459F-B251-EA2AC4F89BC7.thumb.jpeg.6d092c6a752ec067ad3a93bc947c74fa.jpeg70A435BC-EF26-474B-9FCB-B79367AD74FB.thumb.jpeg.1a5b0a33796f348f3dae546b39bac8d3.jpegC1BEEB95-38DB-46A9-B5E8-0A6870B0C170.thumb.jpeg.5887a461f5ef3ab1af4ffa84dc07c4e5.jpeg740717C9-CCCA-4BB7-95C4-DFC11543AE86.thumb.jpeg.5f7ae62b99b31ee2810f45180a864473.jpeg98B699DE-CEF6-4B54-B211-DA4CD8C803B6.thumb.jpeg.6a714f2f1d3c764887ae5f050f88cab4.jpegA92CA77F-AFBB-4A19-9223-0394F864CFEB.thumb.jpeg.216f5a64a29d3903f33d678b4ccbe805.jpeg84609218-BAF2-489F-B089-3544479B3E7A.thumb.jpeg.32b1c28de4ec29ae559df6af2a38792a.jpeg8C3003AF-B10B-4F50-9B09-EF80FD703802.thumb.jpeg.852e122e6bc4e6fb56d11498a1a25f32.jpeg4C385B6B-6758-41A8-B3E6-2C89D4CCD2C7.thumb.jpeg.46202db6dc16ddc262697ce5754f162d.jpeg49A682BC-B47B-4BC8-A1D0-5F296931A949.thumb.jpeg.cadd08f8130748e62cc184d2902dfe25.jpeg4DC73890-DE1C-455F-AFBF-1949AF83E530.thumb.jpeg.b31178b1d9bdf7ef9df5d0e56ceb4a71.jpegB2E54CEC-56D3-40D2-9D84-1F9A73E783CA.thumb.jpeg.5fe3b7be49d09a9f4a002033f5605b55.jpegB2E54CEC-56D3-40D2-9D84-1F9A73E783CA.thumb.jpeg.5fe3b7be49d09a9f4a002033f5605b55.jpegB9154DDE-130C-463E-946F-69DC224A2259.thumb.jpeg.e2b8f66d3ad4baecc538c586d140e0d0.jpegE5C32028-F64D-4184-AFE3-985C4D431509.thumb.jpeg.281e895d2762e283ccff98d8236e81ab.jpegE898AD87-3DB3-467D-8EDF-4124E5A7F33D.thumb.jpeg.98a4ac7fa35aa0e18fcb4873f19ea7fc.jpegC93945F4-1699-457B-BA7C-3DD70F452097.thumb.jpeg.3de60b1e447947bf1bcfa7815ce75328.jpegCD0E9ADB-07EC-49FF-AF7E-5E111700A39A.thumb.jpeg.130cac6b69d66d59671afde73efa238f.jpeg346C0FD7-62B3-48DC-B0EF-5439FE63B9EB.thumb.jpeg.c3809858be43df797fbdf5c4a33727d9.jpeg

92C577E8-9F25-474D-B47C-0C81B6800096.jpeg

924399DD-56E2-4F78-8113-62B386F84524.jpeg

BF738E33-B91F-48E0-972B-C6E7E97D3F16.jpeg

CE7F9AC2-66EF-46C7-B95B-9C8F8DAFD9EF.jpeg

6E52EC7B-CC2B-48E7-818D-FCC3EE31B1AF.jpeg

30146705-3FC6-4B6D-B05A-38528BE11160.jpeg

D42C26EF-D20C-4E4E-81F6-299E8E2107BC.jpeg

Just wonderful work on her forecastle....wonderful.

Have you decided on what you are going to do with the *Naval hoods*?

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Rick310 

Rob's referring to a couple nautical inventions of Donald McKay which we now both belive were unique to his Clipper Ships. I've shared a spectacular 1913 Muir photo of the bow of his final Medium Clipper Glory of the Seas. Her lovely figurehead, naval hoods and cutwater are all clearly displayed. Donald McKay so jealously concealed these naval devices that all current models of his amazing ships are inaccurate when it comes to these lost components. Elaborately carved naval hoods are just above and behind her figurehead, which rests upon and just forward of her cutwaters which mount over and extend her stem.

Unfortunately, the otherwise highly detailed plans completely omit both the naval hoods and cutwater, opting instead to tack on her flying fish figurehead awkwardly on her bare stem under her bowsprit. Knowing the power of Cape Horn seas, this would have been lost with the first powerful wave.  

20210309_072220.jpg

On 9/13/2022 at 7:21 AM, ClipperFan said:

Rick310 

Rob's referring to a couple nautical inventions of Donald McKay which we now both belive were unique to his Clipper Ships. I've shared a spectacular 1913 Muir photo of the bow of his final Medium Clipper Glory of the Seas. Her lovely figurehead, naval hoods and cutwater are all clearly displayed. Donald McKay so jealously concealed these naval devices that all current models of his amazing ships are inaccurate when it comes to these lost components. Elaborately carved naval hoods are just above and behind her figurehead, which rests upon and just forward of her cutwaters which mount over and extend her stem.

Unfortunately, the otherwise highly detailed plans completely omit both the naval hoods and cutwater, opting instead to tack on her flying fish figurehead awkwardly on her bare stem under her bowsprit. Knowing the power of Cape Horn seas, this would have been lost with the first powerful wave.  

20210309_072220.jpg

Compare the average clipper cutwater and its planksheer termination.

image.png.f131099f6f90711b5760ac135fce66c8.png

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Here's my interpretation of how the actual prow of McKay's Extreme Clipper Flying Fish would have appeared. 19th Figurehead carving would have been far more lifelike and elaborate than most people realize today. Unfortunately due to the unique McKay bow having been intentionally disguised by the ship master himself, all contemporary Flying Fish models feature just a bare stem. The substantial cutwater and naval hoods are nowhere to be seen. I have sketched how the naval hood components would overlay and join the cutwater which would have been joined to the stem.

In one of his descriptions of the ruggedness of this nautical system, Duncan MacLean observed that even the loss of her cutwater would have had no effect on the watertightness of her prow. As the 1913 image of Glory of the Seas confirms, while most of her elaborate carved arch has washed away, the cutwater itself is still intact. That's even after suffering a collision which damaged her splash rail.

20211111_134142.jpg

20211114_213441.jpg

Every image I can muster up and extrapolate clearly of McKay vessels...definitely show some kind of a *Naval Hood* supporting the stem and cutwater.

I know this kind of information can and probably will, set the history books on end...not to mention the correction for the modeling industry.  *If they want to be accurate*.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Rick310 this not meant to get off course on your build log of your beautiful Flying Fish model. Rob and I are just trying to get accurate information to you and the entire modeling community especially interested in recreating accurate versions of McKay's mysterious yet very famous Clippers. I personally view McKay's last Clipper Glory of the Seas as the "Rosetta Stone" of McKay's Clippers. In the description of his premiere Extreme Clipper "Stag Hound" Duncan MacLean mentions "hood ends" and a "cutwater." We cleary see those devices in every single pic of McKay's final Clipper. I believe that these surprisingly overlooked nautical devices were unique to Donald McKay's ships. I'll even go so far as to say that Bruce Von Stetina's magnificent Lightning (the very finest I've ever seen) incorporates the same glaring flaw of omitting both her naval hoods and cutwater. Again her figurehead is awkwardly tacked on below the bowsprit. Ironically, if you look at the plans in McKay's own hands, he left that prow area completely blank!  Rob and I hope begin the process of correcting this glaring oversight.