Best Rope/Rigging for 1/700 WW2-era Aircraft Carriers?

Hello all!

I'm new back to the ship modeling hobby after a 20 year hiatus.  Currently looking for rigging/rope for a 1/700 IJN Shoho aircraft carrier that I'm building.  I've hunted around and looks like somewhere between 0.047-0.13mm would roughly be the correct diameter?  What would be the best brands for this?

Edited by blacknwhiterose

I have used EZ-line for rigging ships and aircraft. I don't know what its width is, but it is not round in cross-section, which might be apparent at 1/700 scale. The best thing about EZ line is that it is elastic, meaning it can be stretched between contact points and will create a nice, taut line when fixed in place. Another option that I haven't tried myself but have heard of others using is fly tippet line. 6X tippet is typically 0.13 - 0.14 mm in diameter. Some tippet is available in black, but you'll have to shop around to see if it is available as black 6X.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

It's probably not very nice to point people to other fora, but this topic is more extensively discussed here: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/

You can get silver wire down to 0.007 mm diameter, copper down to 0.05 mm and molybedenum (difficult to cut) down to 0.01 mm. Some people also advocate stretched styrene sprue ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg