HMS Victory by Heliart - DeAgostini - 1:84

Hello friends of maritime modeling,

As I already announced in build log of the HMS Victory cross-section model, I am also working on the HMS Victory from DeAgostini.

I don't want to bore you with tiresome descriptions of weeks of hull planking, especially cause the work is always the same. So I will only post some construction stage pictures and if I did something different as described in the building instructions, I will explain this briefly.

This was the starting material I started with (150 bags of wood and tiny stuff)

pic000.jpg

Edited by Heliart

They are really very fragile. And I have already broken off one or the other bulkhead before sanding.

I then sanded parallel to the bulkheads. This worked very well with the Perma-Grid tools.

After the longboat I finally started with the hull of HMS Victory.

I decided not to build up keel and frames without support. And so I bought the "shipyard" from Modelzone. I have to say, it's really good value for money.

pic009.jpg

pic010.jpg

pic011.jpg

As I promised, I won't bore you with endless pictures of the hull planking.

So the fuselage is half planked and according to the building description the gun ports are to be cut out now. I printed a jig for the gun ports with the 3D printer. With it, I almost got the parallelism and the same cutout.

pic012.jpg

pic013.jpg

pic014.jpg

Edited by Heliart

When planking, the giant holes through the nails in the planks annoyed me, so at some point I changed fixers. The push pins work great. Because they are very thin, they leave very small holes and you can drive them pretty deep into the wood. Of course you have to be careful, they are quickly bent. But better than the needles with the glass heads. Who ever had such a needle stuck in the thumb, knows what I'm talking about. 😥

pic016.jpg

pic015.jpg

After the complete planking, according to the building instructions, the entire hull should be sanded over until everything is nice and smooth. Within a very short time, I literally got fed up with this very fine wood dust that settles on everything that is not covered.

I then started stripping the hull with snap-off blades of a box cutter. For the roughest irregularities I used a small model plane. Then it was much better with the dust, now only the fine wood shavings flew around.

After these blades got always very quickly blunt, I had to think of something else. On the Internet I found some awesome woodworking tools. I took a high quality a french scraper. This scraper is mainly used by instrument makers. I also had to learn how to sharpen such drawknives. In the meantime I can do it quite well. You can see the result in the following pictures.

pic017.jpg

pic018.jpg

pic019.jpg

pic020.jpg

pic021.jpg

Then I closed the holes of the push pins with a cotton swab and warm water.

Edited by Heliart

This is supposed to be a building section before sanding the fuselage. On the picture you see no planks on the frames. 😉

An idea I found on the internet. Support of the cross "beams" to get more stability for the lower deck. And all the beams now got a slight bow.

pic022.jpg

According to the construction plan, some caulking lines should be drawn with a marker in the area of the entrance gate. I didn't like that, so I replicated the planks with thin (0.4 mm) linden veneer. I know the planks are too wide. They should be 2.7 mm wide. I did not know that at the time. The planks were solid teak, over 6 inches thick, 9 inches wide and 6 metres in length.

pic023.jpg

Here the two deck halves before gluing them together and cementing them to the beams. The central caulking line I inserted before the deck halves were pressed down.

Edited by Heliart