Standing Rigging, port or starboard first?

I've finally got to the standing rigging on my AL Jolly Boat.  I've come to doubt the historical accuracy in some steps of the instructions.  We all know this kit is of a ficticious boat or a "rough representation" at best.  But showing the boom tackle located where they do just isn't right.  But I digress, back to my question.  I can't believe that the picture shown of the shrouds at the cheeks of the mast to be correct.  I plan on seizing a loop in the shrouds around the mast for the port sided, the starboard side and those for the bowsprit.  I believe the shrouds for the bowsprit would be on top, but does it make a difference if the first set go to port or to starboard?  

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

The traditional method is to start on the starboard side. Then alternate port and starboard pairs.  In fairness, I can't see how starting on one side or the other has any advantage.  The important thing is to start with the forward most pair and proceed aft.  The stay, which is what I think you are referring to as the bowsprit shroud?, would be the last to be fitted over the mast head.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Thank you Henry, I greatly appreciate it.  I've come to the conclusion that every little thing that can be named on a ship/boat is there for a very specific purpose.  And has been honed/perfected over many centuries.  I agree that I don't see any advantage as to which goes first but somebody somewhere sometime determined it's best for starboard to be first.  Thanks again, I greatly appreciate it.

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats