Heller 1:100 HMS Victory, deconstructed rigging instructions

Summary:  I created a spreadsheet that documents all the rigging lines defined in the Heller 1:100 victory instructions with cross references to Nepean Longridge's 'Anatomy of Nelson's Ships', Lennarth Petersson's 'Rigging Period Ship Models' and finally John McKay's 'The 100-Gun Ship Victory'

I had looked around pretty sure someone had previously done the same thing but couldn't find any examples.  At the final conclusion I got 8 lines I cannot define (missing from the instructions or just couldn't understand why there).  There were also several (I assume) bowlines affixed to yardarms.  Examples also show bowlines affixed to the sails that didn't seem to exist in other plans.

I have attached some snapshots showing how it is formatted (using the Main Yard & Sail).  I also have an Excel tab that documents the complete kit defined deck attachment points (which differ from actual practice).  These differences mainly go down to the lack of provided cleats on the shrouds and elsewhere, forcing the designer to grab what they thought made sense from a build point of view.

Still going through triple checking.  Would anyone have any interest in this?  Or is there a location that someone can point to that has a completed copy of such a thing.

Mark

Main Yard & Sail Lines.JPG

Notes - Legend.JPG

Lines with Questions.JPG

Edited by kruginmi
Clarified example used Main Yard & Sail

Mark,

You might check with Dafi and see if he has or knows someone who knows the answers.   He's seem pretty knowledgable and is doing a deep dive on the Vic if you haven't seen his log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Mexspur.  I provide as an attachment.  I am pretty sure pretty accurate (haven't delved into the various backstays in depth).  Again, it is my take and what I intend to do.  Others can modify as they wish.

Note:  This is a decomposition of Heller 1:100 Victory lines defined in instructions.

An enhanced legend is at the end.  I also ID'd which lines I will not use but also, lines that are not present that I will add.  Interesting to note none of the studding lines are present.

I include a tab on how Heller defined their deck tie downs but will largely defer to Nepean for his definitions. 

My goal is to allow anyone making the model 'as is' to have more clarity on what they are doing and have more enjoyment.

Mark

Krug Victory Rigging Lines.xlsx

Edited by kruginmi