Jump to content

kruginmi

Members
  • Content Count

    508
  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Michigan, USA

Contact Methods

  • Yahoo
    wooduponthesea@gmail.com

Recent Profile Visitors

1,452 profile views
  1. Worked on first of two main mast stays (both port and starboard) - pretty happy with the result. After I get the port one fashioned up will probably need to start on the ratlines. Not too many. Had to find (make) my 'Put'r There 3000' for actually rigging - especially to tie them up at the cleats. With the meat hooks I have for fingers only way to go. My essential tools in addition to this for rigging are two fly typing clamps (need more), hemostats and my vise for holding the clamps when possibly. Could also throw in my magnifying glass(s). Peepers just aren't the same as bef
  2. I need to up my game as I go forward. Currently Going through entire Ashley book of knots to ID potentially useful knots that I can use at scale. Then will make a cheat sheet for use. First question is how best to attach blocks to bolts affixed in deck (limited access) for last remaining backstay. Pondering snipping small gap at base to allow slipping on stropped block constructed off ship. Mark
  3. Thanks Martin. Thinking about the diluted white glue. Will see how it looks. thread type made a huge difference Mark
  4. I know the twisting is a common issue. I have tried quite a few things today, insuring the tension is uniform across all 3 threads, no thread is caught up in its hole, etc. I even wet the threads to see if any small fuzz was hampering. One thing I did find interesting is that if I do get the tension just right (basically very little) (or very slack) the deadeyes will align themselves correctly. However the shroud is quite loose. If you pull up on the shroud the upper deadeye will immediately start twisting around 1x, 2x, etc. Release the tension and it returns to the original
  5. Question: When rigging dead-eye to dead-eye, the upper dead-eye rotates to the side where the initial knot is formed. This causes, by the end, sometimes to be 180 degrees rotated from the desired position. I have been very careful to insure no twist is in the tie off line itself and everything is kept taught (but not overly so). This twist becomes more apparent the farther the deadeyes are positioned from each other. Any help for me out there? I will use a wood pole as the first ratline and could force correction with this, but am trying to work this out prior.
  6. My view is that the 'Harvey' configuration is the default basic kit way to recreate the look (less complexity). When the rigging in total is viewed, you can definitely make this assumption. The running backstay seems more accurate and befitting such a ship so that is what I will use. For the orphaned deadeye I will just punt and wait until all the standing rigging is complete and then ponder what would look best. Thanks for the comments! -Mark
  7. So...coming up to a decision point and I throw it out for suggestions on what course to follow. The original 'Harvey' had two (2) fixed backstays off of the foremast. This was built before the grand awakening and change of direction. These directly attached to the two fixed points above the mast cap The 'opportunity' before me is that on the Pride of Baltimore II they only used one, with the second backstay being a running variety and fixed inboard of the bulwarks. I do have these connection points established on the hull. So w
  8. Alright, I need to know. How do you accomplish such nice rigging tie offs? I need an Eamonn intervention. My threads tend to go every which way except for where I need them (like evenly moving up the shrouds above the deadeyes). Teach me your ways..... The bigger the blob the better the job doesn't always apply LOL. Mark
  9. Hey Eamonn, have to get to it while the iron is hot. Had some time off from work so just started. I can't promise so much activity all the time haha. Picked up a Stratocaster guitar and working to learn that. So many hobbies, so little time. All the best to You Eamonn, Mark
  10. Hey Keith, born and raised in Plymouth currently in Grand Rapids. Went to UofM back in mid-80's. Love the Western side so much more than the Eastern. Mark
  11. Moved on to the Fore-mast. Of course the chain plates had more eye-bolts in them so the jig couldn't be used the same way. So...time to adapt. I clamped to the bulkhead on the deck side. Then the process remains the same. It seems as soon as you get good at something, it is time to move on (haha). I have a few backstays still to go. Then came the all important check: are the masts in line and appear to be perpendicular to the deck...... I can live with that result. Stay Building My Friends, Mark
  12. So this happened today. So much for removing the main mast for storage, guess I am committed now LOL. Next up is the fore mast. Funny how in the mind these shrouds took on the aura of the Victory, with seemingly thousands of ratline knots to tie. This is a LOT easier. Besides, every fifth run will be a wooden rod making it even easier. -Mark
  13. Another quick update - amazing what you can do when you actually sit down and do something. I wanted to get those 4 more dead-eyes affixed while I was in the zone. I only have two hands (with meat hooks for fingers) so I knew right away a jig would be in order. Pretty sure what I ended up making isn't original, but I built on the fly and it works for me. It slips onto the chain plates and allows me to (literally) pin the deadeyes in place, even the one not affixed to the shrouds. Then it is easy to tension, mark and affix off ship. The following sequenc
×
×
  • Create New...