Tested : Heat transfer paper for painting sails

Hello,

A long time ago, I posted an idea about using heat transfer paper that is commonly used for T-shirts. 

heat3.jpg.0ad39fa825976e4280d774becb4f3500.jpg

I've tested some heat transfer papers and related techniques, but I would like to summarize my only successful result here rather than upload many trials and errors in the old post. Also, there are only limited resources to meet the high expectations of this forum.

* Requirements

- Common digital temperature controlled irons, such as Tefal steam irons: I won't use the steam.

- Flat and durable table or a MDF panel an half inch thick: I'll press it really hard.

- Clean paper foil for kitchen

- (Color) Laser printer 

- Forever's laser transparent transfer paper (Made in Germany): Make sure the background is clear or nothing. White or black isn't what we need.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7YDHTG

* Official guides

As you see from Amazon's worst review score, the transfer paper is very sensitive and hard to use if you don't know how to take care of it. 

https://youtu.be/N1CAx5KrfJ4

https://youtu.be/qXsZ3wWA6sk

There are some useful video tutorials, but you still need some trials and errors before use. Here is a cheat sheet from the manufacture.

heat2.thumb.jpg.ad677ac074594ebde0eb9c99f2a0ff53.jpg

There are 2 choices on the paper because I used cotton fabric, and I already wasted lots of transfer paper and fabric to test the first trap. 🤪 Forget it and follow my guide. 

heat1.jpg.ae8928a03e098f44e983163559e766de.jpg

Step 1. Printing the heat transfer paper carefully.

(1-1) Check your laser printer. If your laser toner printer is a popular type, it shouldn't have a bypass printing mode. In that case, hold and pull the printing off the paper by hand. Otherwise, the expensive and thick transfer paper will be jammed and become useless.

Step 2. Setting a flat ground

(2-1) To iron, place at least a half-inch thick MDF panel or secure a flat table.

(2-2) Cover the surface with a silicon coated paper foil to protect cotton fiber from dusts.

Step 3. Preheat an iron to 180℃ or 355℉

(3-1) Use a noncontact thermometer or set it between wool and cotton.

Step 4. Riding on the iron

(4-1) Position the transfer on the fabric and press it with all your might and weight for 30 seconds. The youtube video explains it as 3~5 bar pressure. Don't cover the paper foil on the back of the transfer.

(4-2) After 30 seconds, remove the transfer carefully and immediately. Be careful of burns!

heat4.thumb.jpg.912adc7340c613e9c36ff56b6e07f632.jpg

The transferred image is quite durable and doesn't dissolve in water. It also works well with PVA glue. All the progress is very fast and fun to compare with brush painting or stencil spraying I tested. I guess this technique may be good for beginners and those who want complex and unique flags.

------------------------

This method increases the success rate up to 90%. 

(1) Increase the temperature by 10℃ (or 16 ℉).

(2) Press the transfer paper for 25 sec, and gently rub the paper with the iron for 5~10 sec. Almost all commercial steam iron have holes, so they don't have a flat surface, which causes imbalanced force. 

(3) If you removed the transfer paper without any residue, you are good to go. ;) 

Edited by modeller_masa

sync0.jpg.35a0fb1cc28a5f59283c0247a61c076e.jpg

I got a good result on both sides. Here is a method.

sync1.jpg.6cea8cda68d3d71c937f50fc4d1cc2a4.jpg

It's not very difficult.

sync2.jpg.0afe0119d4b094f6e9bd8204cc537963.jpg

1. If you need to, print one of the transfer papers reversed. 

2. Leaves marks on the papers and the fabric with a water-eraseable pen for fabric work. Completely sync them before ironing them.

3. Increase the time spent ironing. Press for 30 sec and rub for 5~10 sec.

4. Remove both transfer papers immediately. 

5. Ta-da!

paper.jpg.bcdbb04db54f01ecd919f87f5a2ae967.jpg

One more thing. I have difficulty with sewing from the end. Because the sails are relatively small and the fabric is folded mutiple times, feed dog bites it and cuts the feed threads. There are some general methods to overcome the issue.

(1) Stop using feed dog : use free motion foots such as a quilting foot - The quality of the sail can be worse because of inconsistent stitches.

(2) Replacing to a single hole plate : -Cannot use the zigzag stitch.

(3) Putting a thin paper foil under each jamming point : -Causing issues when the length is too narrow (above picture).

soluble.jpg.c92978cf22ed6699ebdf12d326c80121.jpg

(4) My solution: putting a water soluble paper under each jamming point. :)  Never Kleenex, Never toilet paper.