Buying building kits in Norway (Oslo area)

ObviousNewbie

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place for my request, as I did not see any other category it could fit into.

I've been a member for some time, so nothing new there, but my location is about to change, drastically. The company I work for is sending me to Norway (Oslo area) to lead a project for one year.

As I'm currently building Occre's Endurance (no build log yet, sort, it's been hectic trying to organise everything over the last months) my original thought was to pack up the shipyard and continue in the new destination. Norwegian customers had a different opinion: no import of any wood is allowed.

After some teeth grinding, here's what I want to do: pack the shipyard, put Endurance in storage, leave all the spare wood home and buy a new kit once I'm there. So here's the question: could any members who have experience with buying/building kits in Norway please share the names and addresses of the stores where they buy their supplies?

Thanks a lot in advance!

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

My goodness, that's a problem. While I know nothing about Norwegian model sources, I suggest using the MSW community map to locate members in Norway and contact them. A quick look showed 46 members listed there, so if you send enough PMs, presumably someone will respond! You can also look at their profiles to see how active they are and choose contacts accordingly.

22 minutes ago, ObviousNewbie said:

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place for my request, as I did not see any other category it could fit into.

I've been a member for some time, so nothing new there, but my location is about to change, drastically. The company I work for is sending me to Norway (Oslo area) to lead a project for one year.

As I'm currently building Occre's Endurance (no build log yet, sort, it's been hectic trying to organise everything over the last months) my original thought was to pack up the shipyard and continue in the new destination. Norwegian customers had a different opinion: no import of any wood is allowed.

After some teeth grinding, here's what I want to do: pack the shipyard, put Endurance in storage, leave all the spare wood home and buy a new kit once I'm there. So here's the question: could any members who have experience with buying/building kits in Norway please share the names and addresses of the stores where they buy their supplies?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi,  am living in stavanger. Norway. i by most of my stuff from US or EU also wood so i dont understand wat you meen about no import?

svein.erik

God dag, Erik. I’m following the instructions of the moving company, who basically said they will not take any wood with them. Checked the Norwegian customs site, the info is quite vague, probably because I need to rely on internet translation. Might be there is a difference between importing processes?

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

30 minutes ago, ObviousNewbie said:

God dag, Erik. I’m following the instructions of the moving company, who basically said they will not take any wood with them. Checked the Norwegian customs site, the info is quite vague, probably because I need to rely on internet translation. Might be there is a difference between importing processes?

hi, there might be some difference and you can also contackt costums by mail and ask them.

there is also a building grup in Oslo, (Maritim modell klubb) am a member there also. They have also meethings etc

many of them knows where to go and get wat you need .. 

svein.erik

18 hours ago, ObviousNewbie said:

Hi all,

Thanks a lot in advance!

Would you not be able to buy online and have shipped to you?

I know VM have shipped to Norway with no problems.

Hi James, thnx for moving this to the correct spot. Indeed, I can order kits online, but I was more looking for small purchases (extra glue, extra strips etc), seems a bit of overkill having to pay shipping costs for those. Also, as I'm still relatively new to this hobby, I've come to appreciate the expert advice these store owners seem to have. But I can always get back here and ask, everyone here has been a great help in my previous builds 🙂

Current build: 

On 8/22/2022 at 9:08 PM, svein erik said:

hi, there might be some difference and you can also contackt costums by mail and ask them.

there is also a building grup in Oslo, (Maritim modell klubb) am a member there also. They have also meethings etc

many of them knows where to go and get wat you need .. 

svein.erik

Tusen tak Erik! Found their website, very informative, do you still have monthly meetings in the Framm Museet?

Current build: 

On 8/24/2022 at 9:13 AM, ObviousNewbie said:

Tusen tak Erik! Found their website, very informative, do you still have monthly meetings in the Framm Museet?

hi.. thats good, hope you find the site and contakt them / meet the groop.

they meet in the Norwegian maritim museum in oslo☺

here is the mail to the forman of the club : wellenjan@gmail.com

svein.erik