1:162 Robert E. Lee Steamboat - Scientific

Snug Harbor Johnny

Ahoy !  After following two recent builds of the Robert E. Lee Mississippi steamboat (1866 - 1876 for the first incarnation) I looked to see what options for unbuilt kits might be on Ebay.  (Sometimes 'stashes' become available and perfectly good kits get put on-line - which makes a sale more likely than an ordinary yard sale ... and the price can be much lower than new stock.  'Vintage kits' can go for even less.)

I couldn't resist the 'buy now' button for the 1970s version by Scientific (made a Cutty back then either by Scientific or Sterling ... can't remember - and a cousin did a good job of wrecking that model for me) for just under $60.  Seriously, how much a gamble was that?  The prices for the same unbuilt kit ranged in the $70 - $90 range for the most part, with the highest price being $138.  So I went for the $60 kit.

There were a few forum comments criticizing some aspects of this kit (when aren't there any?) and one characterized it as simplified.  Well it just arrived and I decided to my own kit review before doing anything with it.  The 'real' scale of this kit works out to 1:162 based on the 21" wooden hull size of the model and the 285' hull size of the original. (The Pyro/Lindbergh plastic kit hull is ALSO 21" - so components from the plastic kit can be used to ease/improve the build of the Scientific kit ... there's noting like a real wood model hull.)  A misunderstanding (printer goof?) of the Scientific kit put 1/8" = 1.45' on the box.  

First up is the box art, which should be familiar.

image.thumb.jpeg.32d3ba2dd870918f760172472a1a7633.jpeg

So here's what's in the box ... and was surprised to see how much was in there, neatly compartmentalized with a long narrow sub-box and spacer.  There are two large plan sheets printed on both sides ... something not seen too much in contemporary kits.

image.thumb.jpeg.6d62941849c564ce610746753511a44a.jpeg

image.jpeg.0d4817875dc8a4298e4bf0046a286852.jpeg

'Sorry that the sheet order got mixed.

image.thumb.jpeg.fd88466377186d809425f13ac86ae47f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.27e3a9f23147c04f10382014ba848763.jpeg

I just LOVE those nice, big plan sheets - chock full of details.  And the next picture shows an amply illustrated instruction manual ... another thing you don't see as much these days.  All in English (Hey, I got tired of having to use the Google translator on my Tracphone), its hard to go wrong.  Now to the right of the booklet is a piece of card stock (something that's critiqued elsewhere) for the windows and some of the trim.

OK, for a builder less inclined to model all the windows, I think that this is a valid way to assemble 'out of the box' 'as supplied'.  But as another suggested, just get it printed on acetate at Staples.  Then small cut-outs can be made on the cabin sides, thin stock can surround the opening to frame the window (slightly covering the cut-out to create a ledge), then the acetate window can be mounted from the back side ... and you have a more detailed window.  No big deal.   Where another kit might have photo etch for other trim (actually, photo etch can be kinda thin and hard to work with - perhaps better suited to 20th c. kits of battleships and the like), copying that trim on regular copy paper and rubber cementing it onto brass sheet then sawing out by hand can provide an alternative to card stock ... take your pick.

BTW there IS a piece of printed acetate (not shown here) included for the windows in the wheelhouse.

On the left is the only piece of balsa in the kit - part for making the ends of the boiler and a piece to make a jig to help make three smoke stack spacers (one of the 'fiddly bits' to this model).  The color sheet is gummed on the back for application.

image.thumb.jpeg.10f4543314959156b0268eb8148f28a3.jpeg

There area several basswood sheet with printed parts that the builder must cut out.  (Another ding from someone who is too used to laser cut parts).  OK, but the basswood is not too hard to cut, and a 'rough cut' with space around the printing can be made - then an X-Acto can shave up to the line ... big deal.  I mean, are we in a big rush to do our builds?  I note that the deck has the plank printed, so one doe NOT have to plank the decks.  But then again, if one really wants to - there is nothing to stop one from planking over the deck with the printed lines as a guide.  Again, its your pick.

image.thumb.jpeg.182c0a965827c60edc6e385bb31a10c9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.04f286ae5747ea34c72fb5c6718c0380.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ca3fd8042fa9c7bd86a4ba74d34a2c69.jpeg

The next photo shows a whole bunch of stock in the long sub-box ... too much to try and spread out in this review - but they seem to have included lots to do a fair job on this build.  One can, with a little thought, plank over some of the surfaces that are  otherwise plain wood if built 'out of the box' ... and that might require a little thin veneer not included in the kit.  Again, I don't think its a big deal.

Note what appears to be complex gallery railing with 'gingerbread'.  This is made of a flexible substrate (not sure exactly what) and painted white on one side.  This will DEFINITELY save a ton of work assembling all those pickets.  There is stock that gets glued on the surface to make it more 3-D.  I rather like this feature of the kit.  Note also the fully turned smokestacks and steam stacks.  How nice is that?

image.thumb.jpeg.51d4761f2ef90fd501a3d497e8b2c06d.jpeg

Now there is a basswood hull that only needs some shaping ... nothing too dramatic.  A keel piece can be fitted to the bow if desired.  Due to the overhang of the deck, most of the hull isn't that visible anyway.  I suppose you can plank over it if desired ... another 'bust' that's a user option.  I note that the display stand is out of Mahogany (with a finish applied, no less) ... now THAT is something you don't see much these days !  Not shown are 4 felt disks to go on the bottom of the mahogany base ... they seem to have thought of everything.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a738926e7985bba0f647727a8914fad.jpeg

Geeze, have I got my $60 worth so far?  But wait, There's MORE !  There are many cast fittings included that see pretty good to me, and can really help because one doesn't need to model them at this scale.  The parts seem pretty good as-cast, and can clean-up easily.  Part of one of the bags is shown below, with the rest from that bag to follow.  The tiny ladders will save a lot of trouble.  Cleats, blocks, bell, whistle and weather vane ... the segments of the paddle wheels will suffice, as that's all that will be visible on the model.

image.thumb.jpeg.160ea69e7d8d0f49e2fd1d6ca6f1aa8d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0120b742cd3c97c68c1bf0d1c66c0d4a.jpeg

The next picture was made through the bag, so I wouldn't risk loosing any of the small parts contained therein.

image.thumb.jpeg.044e7fe414d768431d1f1bdd4fe3962c.jpeg

OH, and then there is a casting for the 'Grand Staircase' (instructions show how to add the side pieces for the stairs) plus three small boats.  Two screws for the display stand are included.

image.thumb.jpeg.c476fe0606d32b1a70840aedb4e86721.jpeg

I'm no expert by any means, mates,  but this kit seems to have a lot going for it ... with work-arounds for any perceived shortcomings.  After all, this isn't a plastic kit - seriously, we're supposed to be modelers after all.  I've mentioned elsewhere  that this is also one of the projects that doesn't involve a lot of complex rigging (stropping tons of block and deadeyes, rigging halyards, lifts, braces, bunt lines, clew and sheet lines ... to name a few).  

So my review is a definite 'thumbs up', and the relatively modest cost of acquisition is icing on the cake !

Smooth sailing !      Johnny

One Edit I forgot to make:  The Scientific kit does omit a feature that educated observers will note, and that is the omission of three masts on each side with anti-hogging cable fore-and-aft - presumably due to the amount of heavy cargo often piled on the 'apron'-like deck on the front half of the vessel.  'Guess that was to simplify what is already a sophisticated build.  Not to worry, these can't be too much trouble to add.

'Haven't had the opportunity to examine any of the other vintage kits of this manufacturer, and I imagine each will have its strong and weak points.  Building a riverboat is like assembling a floating building - an architectural exercise.  It is a different beast than 'main stream' sailing ships, and I look at the challenge of a tea clipper or a man-of-war as more of an art form - hence a difference in skill sets and level of difficulty.  As an old manufacturing engineer, I'm more 'assembly oriented', and have to work on the artistic aspect versus the industrial.

Edited by Snug Harbor Johnny
omission

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

11 hours ago, Cathead said:

Let us know when you start your build! 

Ghosh, Eric ...  I must first finish the Khufu barge.  That ... and the Admiral has ordered solid hardwood flooring to be installed in the parlor and dining rooms!  Admittedly, there was assistance unloading and transporting eighteen 70 lb. cartons of oak up into the house, but from here on mate - I'm on my own.

Time to re-deck !        Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65