Polaris by RH-J - OcCre - 1:50

With apologies, this is not a build log per sa but a resume of the problems experienced by a complete beginner and their solutions. As is common in most activities, manufacturers and authors assume a far greater knowledge than a novice possesses even though their product/literature is targeted towards them. Hopefully, as my jottings catch up with my build progress the following will evolve into a true build log.

Ribs.

Placing these was the first challenge. It is essential these are fixed perpendicular to the false keel. I read/watched many tutorials, which showed many and varied ways of achieving this with varying degrees of complication. In the end I opted for a very simple solution - bulldog clips. By placing a bulldog clip on the false keel and tight to each rib, the rib was a) kept in place and b) held at right angles to the false keel. There is the additional benefit of the bulldog clips providing 'legs' to support the skeleton while the glue set.

Planking the deck.

I was less than convinced with OcCre's instructions for planking the deck. For starters, nail heads would not be visible having been countersunk and plugged in a real boat. I subsequently learned, in real boats, the planks would be a) in 6, 9 or 12 foot lengths, b) begin with a king plank on the centre line of the deck and not a joint and c) laid to a 4 plank stagger for French built boats or 5 plank stagger for British built boats. Through trial and error, I also discovered shading the plank edges with a 5B pencil produced the best simulation of the caulking. Once I decided to use planks rather than complete strips, a contact adhesive was impractical and I reverted to PVA. To scale a 12' plank in a 5 plank stagger produced impossible fractions of a millimetre so I made the decision to utilise a 4 plank stagger. I also decided an edge plank was beyond my skill level and, in any event, this would be covered by the edge plank included in the kit.

Planking the hull - 1st layer.

I began by studiously following OcCre's instructions and the method I had seen on many tutorial videos. When I was about half way, impatience got the better of me and I started to prepare for the 2nd planking layer. I began by filing the heads off the pins as per the instruction but soon discovered I was doing more damage than good. The solution was to remove the pins. The planks stayed in place so, from then on, pins were only pushed in sufficient to hold the plank in place until the glue dried. Once this 1st layer was complete, it was thus a simple task to remove all the pins with a pair of narrow-nosed pliers.

HM Schooner Cockle is born.

Once the deck was fitted and the hull planking complete, I began looking at the rigging together with the deck fixtures and fittings. Based upon years of sailing, what was being proposed bore no relationship to how things would be in the real world. Now I know Polaris is a generic boat made simple for beginners such as myself but a degree of realism ought to be maintained. I began to research gaff rigged schooners. I soon discovered the 'fish' class of dispatch boat built 1805 to 1807 in Bermuda for the British Royal Navy. Polaris' hull and sail plan was virtually identical so it seemed a logical decision to complete Polaris as a 'fish' class dispatch boat. The only problem, as I saw it at the time, would be her armament. My build was too far advanced to begin piercing her sides for carronades so, instead, she would not be named as a 'fish' class boat but be named anything else and be fitted with swivel guns. It would also afford me a degree of latitude in not having to be historically accurate. So that is where I am at - building a model boat that is neither a kit nor scratch built and is well beyond my skill level, researching how anchors were correctly stowed, how standing and running rigging was correctly installed and sourcing additional fixtures and fittings such as capstans and the like.

Thanks RH-J i've had a few issues myself following the instructions. i'm a complete beginner and doing the polaris- see build log. ive just finished the hull and am just bending the outer bulwark planks.  Did the decking different too as i thought Occre's stick and cut meant i didn't lean anything about planking and penciling in lines was a complete cop out.

I messed the joggling up but i learnt something by doing it. i dont like it wood, to me it doesnt look right. im thinking of ebony staining the hull with whiite rails, i attach a picture of what im thinking.

interested to see what modifications you are going to do, im a little stuck as most just build as the box picture because its their first build.

I put orange frog tape on the buwarks to protect from the damp planks whist they were clamped. I acually like the contrast with the pale and the sanded but nothing else hull. Thinking an orange stripe of paint on.

hs2004_f04_10a.jpg

20220917_161148.jpg

Edited by JDillon
spelling

Joe

If it moves Grease it if it doesn't Paint it.....

Current Builds: Occre, Polaris                                                          Shopping List: Vanguard, HMS Sphinx                            

Occre, HMS Terror                                                                            Vanguard, HMS Flirt

Occre, Endurance

Completed Builds: 0

By the way, the polaris is very similar to the "SWIFT" Virginia Pilot Boat 1805.

Screenshot_20220917-164344_Firefox.jpg

Joe

Current Builds: Occre, Polaris                                                          Shopping List: Vanguard, HMS Sphinx                            

Occre, HMS Terror                                                                            Vanguard, HMS Flirt

Occre, Endurance

@ JDillon

You've done an excellent job of the planking - much better than mine! And I will post photos of where I'm at as soon as I can as a picture is worth a thousand words.

By the time I had completed planking the outside of the bulwarks, I had, pretty much, decided Polaris was doomed to morph into HM Schooner Cockle so I changed the colour scheme - white below the waterline with navy blue bulwarks. I also scrapped all the framework to the inside of the bulwarks and planked them instead, painting them red ochre (doesn't show the blood!).

Rowan.

Edited by RH-J

Looks great Rowan, i'm loving the RN colours. Did you stain the wood Hull or is that just a clear coat?

I would be lying if i said i wasn't tempted to copy yours but i'm still in 2 minds.

I've attached a couple of pictures. the white and wood looks nice. I really really like the pine and black, but as the hull of the Polaris is sapelli the pine stain will be too dark and it would'nt look as good and i would never be happy with it.

Alternative is to ebony stain the whole lot black and have the middle rail and the top rail white, then do the deck features black, white and wood. see last photo.

I have to make a decision soon or i can't progress. I could start on my Terror and wait until you finish yours 😅 just out of curiosity where did you source a colour picture to get your paint scheme ideas?

Joe

white swift.jpg

swift-1.jpg

new-swift-wooden-model-ship-kit-5-1.jpg

Edited by JDillon
Punctuation

Joe

Occre, Endurance

@JDillon

Thanks for the compliments, Joe. Probably the only colour that is historically correct is the red ochre. The rest were chosen for various reasons and nothing to do with history! Bottom line - I just liked them and that, I think, is the point: choose a colour scheme you like but which looks convincing. Don't worry about copying someone else - imitation is the highest form of flattery!

The bare timber is the strips from the kit with just a coat of matt acrylic varnish. By the way, all the paint I use is acrylic primarily because I cannot ship (no pun intended) enamel paint.

Based on years of modelling, it is far easier to paint models before too much detail is fixed in place. It is much simpler to touch up small areas where the paint has been damaged than it is to cut it in around detail. It is also easier to paint the detail before you fit it for the same reason. The only note of caution I will give is, if you are mixing colours jot down the original colours and their mix ratio so you can match it in the future.

Cheers, Rowan.