HMS Victory by Demostenes - Airfix - 1/180 - PLASTIC

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 3:48 PM, Ian_Grant said:

Looks great!  Is it possible to print this at 1:180 scale?

It should be on 8k SLA printer (resin), it has resolution of 0,02mm. You probably have to use more flexible resin to make that not brittle, but this is just matter of experimenting. On FDM printer (filament) I am not that sure (smallest details probably not), but nowdays even these have good "resolution". Friend of mine was lately printing some plastic pieces for furniture for me (original was crap) and I was surprised by level of quality even on FDM printer.

Anyway I am already starting to regret I ordered that SLA printer through kickstarter, it was big mistake. Almost 3/4 year delay in delivery, I should bought something similar in more standard way, just little bit more pricier.

Once I start prining, I will definitelly share results, what was possible to print and what not. This is reason why I am preparing these models in advance, to have something to experiment on. I will probably try even print these hammocks netting holders, it doesnt hurt to try. Unfortunatelly last 1/2 year I am preparing to move to new house and there is so much issues with that, that I have not much time for modelling.

Edited by Demostenes

Hi... I've been printing in 4k and at scale 1/100 alot of the features you can add in solid works or blender won't print out or will be so tiny the human eye can't see it properly let alone paint it. The smallest feature you can see and paint is about 200 micron which is 5 layers of 4k or 10 layers of 12k. Also holes or penetrations tend to close up under a certain size because of the resin even with washing in ipa. I printed a few pins with a 700 micron hole and closed up with the phrazon 8k resin I was using last week. 

Just keep that in mind at 1/180 scale everything very small or print it out of scale to accommodate. Like you I am very keen to keep pushing with the resin printer for things like surface wood finish etc as you can print out things no one can carve out by hand.

• 1 month later...

I will not print theese cannon balls, I bought various 0,8-1,2mm steel spheres on ali express. It will fit perfectly. I made small research regarding cannons and these are aproximate dimensions of cannon balls for 1/180 model:

18 pounder cca  0,71mm
24 pounder cca 0,77mm
42 pounder cca 0,95mm
48 pounder cca 1 mm
68 pounder cca 1,1mm

cover2.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are first printing results. Automatically generated supports, defaults values, standard resin. It was my first print ever. I also used film for fast printing, which unfortunately affects sharpness and overall quality. This mean, there is still space for improvement, I was printing on 0,05mm layer height, but I can go even to 0,01. There are definitelly better resins for this, I have to put supports manually to not affect model that much and also try print with standard film.

I was quite surpised I was able to print even these small railings, this is sub milimetr detail. For example cannon already look much sharper than original and there is zero post processing (no sanding, i just removed supports).

IMG_4198.JPG

IMG_20231025_194702.jpg

IMG_20231025_194748.jpg

IMG_20231025_194818.jpg

Edited by Demostenes