Sheet, Tack and Clue line. Why no tack on the top and topgallant Endeavour 1761

DaveBaxt

After lots of reading I thought I finally understood how this works and the need for the clue of the sail  to be  held down or raised up and positioned by the sheet and tack . I understand that this can also be achieved on the top and topgallant sails by the mast underneath but why no tack on these sails. I am obviously missing something simple but although I have read a few books such as Lees, Mondfeld and Petersson, I am still not getting how this works and why no tack for the top sails. I appreciate that this might be difficult to explain so forgive my ignorance and thank you for your patience . Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Topsail,  topgallant, and royal square sails do not need tack lines because when they are sheeted home their lower corners are confined to the yards below them.

For the lower courses the sheet serves to pull the lower corner down and aft, and the tack serves to pull the lower corner down and forward.  Thus both are needed to control the lower corner (clew) of the sail.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

52 minutes ago, popeye2sea said:

Topsail,  topgallant, and royal square sails do not need tack lines because when they are sheeted home their lower corners are confined to the yards below them.

For the lower courses the sheet serves to pull the lower corner down and aft, and the tack serves to pull the lower corner down and forward.  Thus both are needed to control the lower corner (clew) of the sail.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Henry

Thank you Henry for that explanation. I also read a question you asked on Clues and sheets for the topsails a few years ago which I also found very helpful, especially the links to the pages in Peterssons book which after noting the knots in the clue lines and now think I understand how they now work much better. . Although for one specific ship , I am hoping that I can use this method for my Endeavour will be fine, although on my Caldercraft  drawing there are no sheets of clues on the Topgallant sails so can I also use the same as the once on Petersson book page 55 ? Once again I appreciate your help and patience best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour