Help with Caldercraft Badger please!

Hi, I'm new to model ships and am building Caldercraft Badger but  would appreciate some advice if anyone has built it

It's regarding the gunports. The manual says to "use full use of PVA and flathead pins" but I can't understand (very inexperienced) how the gunport will stay steady 

when the bulkhead extensions are removed at a later time and whether removing these extensions will damage the gunport pattern. Also, when the plank terminations

are removed what will the gunport pattern be attached to? Perhaps I am overthinking this and should just plod on and see what happens!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff.

Jeff, I'm not familiar with Badger, but there are plenty of Badger logs on the site for you to reference which would likely be of value.  The construction method you reference is pretty common to all Caldercraft (and other kits).  You'll be surprised at the strength of the final hull once the second planking has been installed, and especially after the additional interior planking has been attached.  Just be sure to get a good glue bond between the ply template and the limewood first planking edges.  I have found that a SMALL amount of PVA glue on the bulkhead extensions can help ensure these stay positioned appropriately   Personally, I've never found a use for the pins, but many people here seem to use them.

BTW - welcome to MSW, and I'd strongly suggest starting a build log, photos are a big help to others to help you, and you will get plenty of good advice and support.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I built it a long time ago and remember having a little trepidation on that step, but just follow the instructions.  Pin and glue the gunport pattern as a first step:

677819817_GunportPatternFitted2.jpg.dcb802593f00578aa591ab5a6e8f9138.jpg

Then proceed with the first and second outer hull planking.  At that point, the planking together with the gunport pattern should be very strong.  Once you install the deck base, you can cut off the bulkhead extensions so you're left with this:

DSC07062.thumb.JPG.2c36c753f458d12b7ee3fe9d5bfa867e.JPG

Then all you need to do is sand the deck base and the portion of the bulwark where the bulkhead extensions were to ensure a smooth fit, and then plank the deck and the inner bulwarks.  To cut the bulkhead extensions, a veneer saw is a great tool though not essential.  I picked that tip up from Blue Ensign.

I agree with Jason - it's a lot easier to get help if you post a build log.  

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)