IJN Hatsuzakura by Landlubber Mike - FINISHED - Pit Road - 1/700 - PLASTIC - with FiveStar PE

As my first plastic ship model, I decided to start small and go with the Pit Road IJN destroyer Hatsuzakura ("year's first cherry blossom") with FiveStar PE upgrade set.  

IMG_8533.JPG.4bb0165a5070fc2a19d459586cefcb6f.JPG

IMG_8532.JPG.202371309f002b3bd43c4fe868b779ba.JPG

For a little about the Hatsuzakura, it was a Tachibana class destroyer that was completed in May 1945 and served for the remainder of WWII.  This ship is pretty famous for being the ship that met the American destroyer in Tokyo Bay to discuss the entry of the Third Fleet for the surrender ceremony.  After the war, she repatriated overseas Japanese citizens back to Japan.  Later, in 1947, she was given to the Soviet Union who used her as a target ship and she was scrapped in 1958.

324591271_Tachibanaclassdestroyer.gif.a7c5fa05bd5d2b0c331277a4b1858c3a.gif1828144849_Hatsuzukurapostwar.jpg.03c78d3d33105db2e0587739090e7ddf.jpg

I had bought a couple of nice 1/350 kits, but decided to start with a relatively inexpensive 1/700 kit to gain some experience (as I hadn't built any plastic kits since I was a kid).  I ended up picking up the Hatsuzakura given that destroyers are a bit simpler, and this particular kit had a fairly extensive upgrade kit from FiveStar.  I probably would have been better off with a 1/350 kit since the PE on this is microscopic - literally hair thin in many parts.  I'm hoping that all the time I have been spending with the 1/700 PE will make the 1/350 stuff a breeze.  I have a few other 1/700 kits in the stash though - mostly auxiliary ships like seaplane tenders and repair ships - as I tend to like less common things, and 1/700 is generally the only scale you can find these kinds of ships.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I've been working on this off and on for a few months now.  Here are some build pictures:

Bridge

IMG_8534.JPG.9f9794f62cb08e9dd1c10d5af67ddf18.JPGIMG_8535.JPG.453f681685e1791d01162e35b56823d2.JPGIMG_8576.JPG.e3bafee68232916304428f96d35ea3fb.JPGIMG_8578.JPG.00d7b22074adf1c3c26ac2dd61228a4d.JPG

Funnel - in second picture, can see how much improved parts look with PE given that the plastic tends to be way over scale (especially at 1/700)

IMG_8685.JPG.3fdf77ee082afd546455aa0af8227f1e.JPGIMG_8688.JPG.1afb9d9cb7873810f54dde199aa419fd.JPG

Rear gun platform - those little triangles were added underneath as supports!

IMG_8690.JPG.ac947bf0f1db0c72916d2a2c47e0cb48.JPGIMG_8691.JPG.d89766edc606b5657cbe79836bf4eb97.JPG

IMG_8689.JPG

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Here's where I am today.  I've been trying to figure out the best order to build and paint these.  This particular destroyer has parts of its deck in linoleum, which makes painting a lot trickier.  I've painted the linoleum sections, and then spent a few hours cutting up Tamiya paint mask tape into tiny pieces on the order of a couple of millimeters to mask it for when I paint the steel sections.  Probably a good two hours of work to mask about two square inches of deck 😳

IMG_9806.JPG.f4d582edb8af635b0522b422bfa718ac.JPG

The trickiest thing at this scale is the PE - this stuff is so thin in sections I swear you can breathe on it and it will bend.  I need to straighten out the main tower, but after bumping it accidentally a few times, I don't want to keep fixing it because over time the pieces will just snap.  So, it's a little bent at the moment.

All in all though it's been fun and I've gotten a lot of experience with working with PE, gluing it, using my airbrush, etc. that when I go to 1/350, I should be in good shape.

Mike

My hat is off to you  Mike. You are a far better man than I. I have no interest in torturing myself at that scale!  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I agree with Lou,   I tried building a Destroyer  in 1/700  scale  but lacked high mag  viewing  and good light  - so I really struggled  also used hand painting in too think layers  -  you are doing a Fab job.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Wow... first plastic and PE and so darn tiny.  Just Wow....  looking like you've doing this for years.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow Mike! My hat is taken off and doffed. 

You weren't joking about the pe parts being small.

Excellent work!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 7 months later...

The diorama builds from @CDW and @Egilman inspired me to dust this one off and get back to it.  I was a bit burned out cutting 1-2mm squares of tape to mask the linoleum deck, and got a little stuck in figuring out the build sequence given that a number of deck items to be painted gray would sit on top of the linoleum parts.  I think what I'm going to do is get as much done on the ship as possible that isn't on the linoleum, paint it, then after removing the tape, separately paint the remaining items and add them to the model.  It's going to be tricky as the PE is so small.  I might just prime and paint the frets, then assemble the pieces, rather than assemble and then paint as I've been doing here.  That's the only way I think I can get it to work.

In any event, I finished building the bridge and bridge tower, and added the rear tower (not sure if it was for radar, radio, etc.?)  which was a very intricate and tiny piece with at least five bends and probably a couple of more:

IMG_0592.JPG.1b2b392e2653143bfc64e5c1403aea65.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG.628c9495182c5457326c379aea77546b.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG.6781d7dbcb15b7abc6bebed90eae7ad4.JPG

I've gotten a lot better at working with PE this small, but it's still a challenge.  Some of the pieces are like thick hair in diameter.  So, you have to be very careful not only extracting it from the fret, but also in building it up.  This Five Star set doesn't have any detailed instructions for the most part, so you are forced to study the pictures and diagrams and figure out how to bend the part to completion - some of these are like origami with a number of bends and folds, and the pieces are so small that even my smallest Swiss tweezers seem too big at times.  Optivisor is an absolute must!

Thanks for looking in!

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

I missed this one? glory beeee....

Brother you pull this one off there is nothing you cannot build.....

My eyes are just too done for that scale... I've done quite a few 1/700 before and actually had a 1-700 Kido Butai display, (was only missing the tankers) but I sold it cause it was just too large for my space.... (6 aircraft carriers & two battleships in dual column formation will do that to a display)

My hat's off to those who can do PE in this scale and make it look good....

I respectfully doff my hat to you sir.... You are braver than I...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks guys, we will see how it goes.  I've always had very good finger dexterity, but the eyes are another thing.  For most of my life I had great near vision, but now in my mid-40s, that's kinda going south.  So far I'm fine with the Optivisor but my guess is that the sands are running out of the hourglass on these kinds of models.  Too bad as I love this scale for just the sheer number of different type of vessels, especially on the auxiliary side.  I've picked up a number of kits from oilers to repair ships to submarine and seaplane tenders, etc. as well as the more standard fare like cruisers and battleships and aircraft carriers.  I'm also hoping to display them as waterline dioramas, which is a little easier at this scale (or at least they will take up less space) - big reason why I'm taking a big interest in your waterline techniques!

I originally picked this Hatsuzakura as a fairly inexpensive way to learn how to do PE before tackling my 1/350 ships.  Little did I know how tricky PE is at this scale!  When i get back to my 1/350 Shimakaze, I'm sure the PE will look huge.  I'm chomping at the bit to get to some of the other 1/700 kits in my stash though.

Ultimately, this is what I'm working up to.  Only 15 sheets of PE 😳  There's a lot to do with the pagoda tower, lattice work, etc.  I figure this has to be one of the ultimate PE subjects if you are a masochist.  

image.png.b76cf117e0b5767dbb103a148a774588.png

image.png.0a65fd025c5fa767c562c8a94b0cbba3.png

Mike

5 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Mike,

At the scale of 1/700th, this is self inflicted torture. How much are you going to spend in chiropractor and therapy after this PE set?

Yves

Good question Yves.  So far I'm self-medicating with tequila and bourbon which seems to be going ok.  The interesting thing is that despite the complexities of working on this one, I've been fairly even tempered and not at all frustrated.  Maybe it's from having super low expectations.  My 1/72 and 1/48 planes on the other hand drive me nuts as I seem to break things off almost as soon as I can put them on.  Probably the worst for me was working on my 1/64 Badger build - I can't tell you how many times I broke a cannon loose off the deck, or an errant elbow hit the bowsprit or a spar and popped off the rigging.  No amount of tequila or bourbon could settle me down when that happened!

Mike

7 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

No amount of tequila or bourbon could settle me down when that happened!

I hear that a lot of #%@$$#^^**#%@$ type language helps....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

30 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I hear that a lot of #%@$$#^^**#%@$ type language helps....

It does, but I have three kids under the age of 10 so I need to be careful.  It's a good thing most of my modeling happens after they go to bed. 🤬

Mike

30 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I have three kids under the age of 10

I liked it when my kids were 2, 4, and 8 -- when asked, I would state their ages as 2 to the first, two squared, and two cubed! 

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

These days when asked about kids I just ask "which generation"? 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Mike I have to show you these  as inspiration  to carry on  - some truly amazing work being done at at this scale  -

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235085055-hms-prince-of-wales-battleship-1700/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235086057-hms-yarmouth-f101-frigate-1700/

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks for the kind words Lt. Biggles and Hubac, really appreciate it :)

24 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Mike I have to show you these  as inspiration  to carry on  - some truly amazing work being done at at this scale  -

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235085055-hms-prince-of-wales-battleship-1700/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235086057-hms-yarmouth-f101-frigate-1700/

OC.

Thanks OC - that guy does fantastic work!  Here are two youtube videos that show what goes into models of this side (both Bismarcks, but the first guy I believe has done a number of other 1/700 scale ships):

Mike

Incredible  work  that  most of us just stand  jaw on the floor  shaking our heads at.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 hours ago, RGL said:

Mate, 1/700 is insanity!!!!

Agreed! {chuckle}

Quote:

Ditto. Gave it up as my eyes have deteriorated, but that should be fixed, come March. Hopefully. Love the range of ships, but super-detailing them is a distant dream.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I think with a good Optivisor, seeing is not the problem - at least for me right now.  It's really manipulating the photo etch.  There are times when I need to use two tweezers - one to hold and one to bend.  On the last tower I built, a couple of the leg pieces were intended to be bent the long way to get sort of a V.  It's almost impossible when each of the two sides of the V are 1mm or less in width.

In any event, I'll probably try to get through my stash in the next decade as the manual dexterity and vision won't be getting any better.

Mike

Nice build, but when I look at the scale and at the PE ... I know RGL is right!!! Good luck, don't break your magnifying glass

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks guys!  I decided to continue with the insanity a bit more last night in putting together the 12.7cm anti-aircraft gun at the bow and the twin 12.7cm AA gun at the stern.  The bow AA gun was fairly easy to put together, with two PE side pieces and replacing the out of scale barrel with a piece of 0.3mm rod.  Looks like I did a crappy job gluing the left side piece on a few months ago, doh!  But it's only about 2mm wide (if that) so I won't beat myself too much even though at close magnification it is disappointing.

IMG_0612.JPG.0c1a45716d777bf0ef0e3bcc98ae7a1a.JPG

The twin AA gun was a little bit more of an in-depth project, with 11 pieces to be assembled:IMG_0606.JPG.5423a20f46f31d5dfb6c7d8ee81c9e07.JPG:

Took a while, but I think it turned out pretty well.  The kit part isn't bad at all, but I think the aftermarket gun looks to me to be a bit more in-scale:

IMG_0607.JPG.875ac55c821855cecab81f78dc7c04f4.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG.d661973d6c9e03d0796792d50abccf43.JPG

And here is how the full ship looks.  With the AA guns, it's starting to look like a destroyer :)

IMG_0613.JPG.e682f53b97d4ff8cfc51b5222e4ed85a.JPG 

Mike