Stays & Preventer stays top or bottom 1761

DaveBaxt

I have seen a number of very good models ( Better than mine anyway) of the HMS Bark Endeavour 1761 with the for preventer stay on the bottom . If this is the case can you confirm that the crows feet will then be on the for stay and not the preventer stay? According to Lees book 'The masting and rigging of English ships of war' This can be the case on smaller ships but does not mention this can be the case for the stays on the main mast therefore can I assume that the main preventer stay is on the top and connnects to the crows feet?

Also most of the collars attached to the bowsprit have thumb cleats to stop the collars from sliding down the Bowsprit, except the main stay which I cannot find these on any drawings/references I have. I understand that in some cases the main stay is not secured at the bowsprit but at the cutter or on the deck but fairly sure in this case it is secured to the bowsprit between the bulwark and the deck. Although I am trying to follow Lees book whenever I can, sometimes it can be a little vague . I also do not own the AOTS Endeavour which might shine some light on this subject. Any replies would be a appreciated. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

6 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

can I assume that the main preventer stay is on the top and connnects to the crows feet?

In  photos of various ships on the RMG Collections site, both the fore preventer stay and main preventer stay are on top of the stays and attached to the masts  with attendant crows feet added to protect the stays from chafing from the sails. 

Two examples: https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-66415  and

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-66189     I would guess this is more likely than the fore mast stays being done differently than the main mast stays, but one never knows.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you Allan and you photographs confirm what I already thought but still unsure as to which way they are fitted on the Endeavour and wonder where quite a few modellers are getting their ideas from and placing the preventer stay below the stay, especially the fore mast. I have check to see if this is possible on the main mast and that the Preventer stay clears the boats which it does and can be seen from my next photo. This rigging is only temporary, just to show the position on where to fit the collar on the foremast. I also notice that the Endeavour replica has the preventer lower on both main and fore masts so still unsure so in this case will probably go for this.

20230208_120132 (1).jpggIMGP3578.jpg

20230208_143102.jpg

I have just found the above photograph of another model of the Endeavour found  in Lees book (Sorry about the quality) This clearly shows the preventer stay below the stay on the main mast and that the crows feet do indeed connect to the main stay. So from this photo can I safely say that the fore mast has the same arrangment, after all it just another model. But how much proof do I need. Haha.

Edited by DaveBaxt

You're welcome Dave,

As I suspect you have found as well, many of us find that the research can be as much fun and as gratifying as the build itself.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

41 minutes ago, allanyed said:

You're welcome Dave,

As I suspect you have found as well, many of us find that the research can be as much fun and as gratifying as the build itself.  

Allan

Too True Allan but sometimes it can be a bit frustrating especially after asking someone like your good self only to find something later under my nose. Once again I thank you for your time and patience. Best regards Dave