Lower and Main Mast Rope

Go to solution Solved by popeye2sea,

Hi Bill,

I may be wrong but I don't think the foremast and fore topmast nor the main mast and main topmast and mizzen masts were ever connected this way on a ship, it does not look to be strong enough to hold them together with the weight of spars, sails, and force of the wind.   I am pretty sure they would be set up in manner similar to the picture below.  The below is from the cover of R. C. Anderson's book The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast 1600-1720  but I would think for the 15th century they would have had something similar, utilizing trestle trees on which the tops rest and a mast cap for support rather than just a rope.  I realize this is probably the kit design but hopefully some member will have more information for you and confirm the design one way or another.

Allan

Mastconnection.thumb.JPG.4e2b8732a85286e0ffaa0c993bf0f25d.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

The name given for the use of a rope in that manner is a "lashing", but I agree with Allen, that is not the way the two mast sections would be joined.  A single point lashing like that would topple in a strong breeze.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Thank you Allen and Henry. The pic I showed is not completed with trestle tree etc. My focus on showing this pic was the "Lashing" only. This turkey is the Nao Victoria, built even before I was born. It shows the lashing but no Cap. We are talking 1400s. The kit is wrong in so many ways.

Does anyone else want to jump in here? Henry has answered my initial question about the naming convention.

Lashings for small topmasts wete not yotally uncommon at the time. Especially round the mediterranean. As far as I remember, the reconstructions of Santa Maria also show this kind of setup. 
Also on the large galleys they used lashings as means to connect large pieces of wood for the main yards.

Jan

Jan,

The little info I have found today agrees with you. Looking at pics of Santa Maria (same time period) shows the carrack with lashings and no cap. Finding info of ships in the 1400s is tough! Anderson' book "The Rigging of Ships" is as early as I can find. 

Thank you all for your advice.

Bill

• Solution

Oh, I agree the masts could be made up with lashings, just not like it is in that diagram. Yards were often made up with lashings also. But, there would have been plenty of overlap and more than one lashing.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Even with caps and a solid double attaachment the overlap is roughly 11% of the lower stick.

I can't reasonably imagine that lashings alone would permit any less if the upper pole is carrying canvas. - For just a flag staff then maybe you can get away with a similar proportion based on the upper load, but not a single whiff of lashing.