Brass Strip Stock

Wondering what you are finding (if there is any such thing) as a substitute for KS strip stock now that they have stopped making it.  I'm in need of some 1/64" thick by 1/8" wide stock for making some truck springs.  I know this is not a nautical theme but brass is such a useful material in ship model construction, I thought of this forum.  Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 months later...

While this might not be sailing-related, I completely understand the need for 1/64" thick by 1/8" wide stock in your project. It's like searching for the perfect shoe to fit your outfit – sometimes, you need a unique pair of sandals to complete the look! Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any direct substitutes for KS strip stock, but you might want to explore local hardware stores or online suppliers specializing in brass materials. Good luck with your truck spring project, and may your search for the perfect 'sandal' of brass stock be successful!

My system for producing brass strip:

1.  Starting raw material:  I like the “hobby sized” pieces of of brass sheet; approximately 3”x7”.  This should be hard or at least half-hard.  Do not anneal.

2.  Glue this to a similar sized piece of wood.   Match the edges of the plywood and brass. A piece of 1/2 in plywood is ideal.  For glue, I like Elmer’s Probond Advanced glue.  This is a PVA type glue intended for use on multiple porous and non-porous materials.  It seems to have good shear strength but poor peel strength.  Like all PVA glues it benefits from high clamping pressure. 

3.  Mount the blade with the highest tooth count on your table saw.  If you have a mini table saw (Byrnes, Preac, etc. ) better yet.  Set blade height slightly higher than the thickness of the brass.  You will not be cutting clear through the wood.  Set your rip fence and saw your strip.

4.  Any slight  roughness or burr can be easily cleaned up with sandpaper on a block of wood.

5.  You should now be able to easily peel the strip from the wood backing.  It helps to work the edge of an Xacto knife under a corner.  Once you have an end loose, the strip seems to pop off.  

This will produce a nice clean cut without curling.  

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

I have easily cut 1/32” hard brass sheet with my Byrnes Saw.  I should add that it helps to lubricate the blade.  I have some sprayable dry lubricant that works well.  The Byrnes saw uses the exact same blades as machine tools do.  Unfortunately you cannot control the speed of the blade like you do with machine tools.  Also, as you are using blades without “set” to the teeth you need to make sure that your fence is aligned well.

Roger