Billing Boats 1/144th scale Titanic

bdromstedt

I am beginning to build the Billing Titanic in 1/144th scale. Almost to the point of beginning to "plank" the hull. Can anyone advise what size "rivets" I should be looking for to simulate the plating rivets on the real ship? I know there are several companies that provide these in decal form, which I think would suit my purpose, but I'm hoping to determine what size I should order, so it's not trial and error. Can anyone assist?

IMHO rivets are overdone by modelers anxious to include the smallest details.  

First of all, you are modeling to a scale of 1:144, so if you are viewing your model from a distance of 1ft, that is equivalent to looking at the real thing from a distance of 144ft. 

Second, unless you have an actual riveting schedule or better yet a plating expansion drawing for Titanic your riveting patterns will not be accurate.  Joints between adjacent plates were riveted to withstand the stresses that were calculated to exist throughout the hull.  Some joints were riveted with double rows, some with triple rows, and some joints in highly stressed areas with even more.

The first photo below shows two actual rivets of the type used to join heavy plates in ship hulls.  These are called Pan Head rivets.  The rivet was inserted hot from the inside of the hull.  It was held in place with a heavy backup tool while it was “closed up” by hammering from the outside.  It needed to be closed up while still very hot as shrinkage while cooling was important to pull the joint together. The rivets used in building Titanic were driven by hand as her builder had not invested in pneumatic riveting tools.

The second photo shows a cross section of a typical riveted joint used in shipbuilding.  Note, the heavy Pan Head is on the inside of the hull.  The observer looking at the hull from the outside would see the slight bulge of hammered metal.

Roger

DE1CB9E5-42E0-4A87-98FC-41FD80543235.thumb.jpeg.9b4f49918d459d7069f2548181ed767d.jpeg8E04EABF-2E41-400A-BFF8-7F654982BE52.thumb.jpeg.8b4f7466b3df2e0c96992a8c81d1b972.jpeg

Edited by Roger Pellett