ScratchBuilding_Cover.jpg

Gib McArdle, author of HMS Sussex, fell in love with the Statenjacht Utrecht and the plans in the book by Cor Emke and decided to draw out all of the frames to augment those plans and build the model using Navy Board framing. Not content with building the exterior, Gib built up the interior cabins in great detail. He then left the decking off so that all of the cabins could be viewed.

The result is a beautiful and accurate display model.

Pleas go to seawatchbooks.com for more details, color photos and a very special price for the combination of Gib's new book and Ab Hovings STATENJACHT UTRECHT.

Thanks,

Bob Friedman

Seawatch Books 

SeawatchWeb.jpg.opt700x123o0%2C0s700x123

Thanks Bob

I have both of these books and really enjoyed the subject matter.  The model that Gib made is beautiful to say the least.  It would make a fine project should anyone love the subject of Yachts like I do.  

I highly recommend both volumes.

Chuck 

• 2 weeks later...

I am also fortunate in acquiring both books and I completely agree with Chuck's assessment: both are beautifully printed, have many excellent photos and the plans in both books are worth the price.  As soon as I complete the Soleil Royale, the Vulture, and d'Halve Maen, and perhaps Gib's Sussex, I will tackle this.  (Or perhaps this one before the Sussex...)

Highly recommended.                  Duffer in Middletown, CT

• 2 weeks later...

http://i70.servimg.com/u/f70/13/06/60/04/hpim3353.jpg

here is a link to a friend who is building himself this yatch,a marvellous modelist

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

I have the book by A. Hoving and C. Emke and ordered the book by Gib as well.  The book by Gib takes a long time to be delivered. So far it has been 2 weeks. Furthermore, I find it rediculous that I have to pay double shipping as I have ordered the book 'Message in a model" as well.  So if I purchase 3 books one has to pay triple shipping.

Once I have the book by Gib M. I will be making this model as my first scratch build.  Will not show the insides of the boat, but will add sails.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

I bought them both last on the 23 and am now waiting to get my hands on them.  Have patience, have patience.

David dgbot@att.net

I bought them both last on the 23 and am now waiting to get my hands on them.  Have patience, have patience.

David dgbot@att.net

That I must have otherwise I would not be building any boats.

Marc

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 4 weeks later...

I have both books and like them. Though I think there is a major problem with the latter. Why on Earth are the plans drawn in 1:48 when the first one's plans are in 1:50 ???

Janos

I so agree with this statement.  I created the frames both in 1:48 and 1:50 in paper templates and one of each on top of each other.  Very little difference.

Marc

Take a look at the build log underway for this and you will be able to tell.   Its all scratch with no timbering sets.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a nice review for folks.......

Picture3.jpg

Scratch Building the Yacht

Utrecht

Instructions and Plans by

Gilbert McArdle

Distributed by: Sea Watch Books, LLC, Florence, Oregon

www.seawatchbooks.com, seawatchbooks@gmail.com

There is no doubt that Gilbert McArdle has become one of the authorities of our time on the construction of models representing Seventeenth and early Eighteenth Century vessels.  Mr. McArdle’s latest book outlines the ...........

​Open the PDF below to read the full two page review.  It really gives you a thorough description if you are considering the project!!

Scratch Building Utrecht.pdf

Chuck