Handrails on Ships Ladders, Stairs, etc.

I'm dry fitting parts atop my HMS Victory Orlop deck so I can start staring at things, scratching my head, and thinking forward as to where I want to go via this phase of the model. When I look at these ladders, or stairs, I can't help but to wonder if any kind of a 'handrail' system was ever incorporated on such 'Ships of the Line' in 1805? Perhaps, HMS Victory was a heavy, sluggish ship that didn't roll too much, somewhat like a modern day 'Aircraft Carrier.' Maybe handrails were unnecessary, then again. Maybe handrails were used, just not shown in most drawings? I don't have a clue. Back in the day, my squadron was attached to the USS Coral Sea. She didn't roll much, except when hard turns were being made to the starboard, due to the old wooden 'angle-deck' being replaced with heavier steel to accommodate jets. It was a weight/balance thing. Anyway, we had handrails aboard that carrier, but didn't really need them most of the time. Did Victory have rope, or wooden handrails on ladders such as this?         

23 Sept 23.jpg

"The journey of a thousand miles is only a beginning!"

Current Build;

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH", "Active build!"

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Hi Tom,

Steel stanchions with rope.  It seems the stanchions were fitted in to sockets so were demountable.

Attached is a watercolour by JMW Turner of Victory’s quarterdeck done a couple of months after Trafalgar, you can see the stanchions to the stairs.  The Poop barricade is steel as it had swivels attached, and is not a handrail system.  The picture is from the UK’S Tate Art Gallery.

Gary

IMG_1792.png

Edited by Morgan

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Steel stanchions with rope

Thanks again, Gary!

"The journey of a thousand miles is only a beginning!"

Current Build;

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH", "Active build!"

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Perhaps yes, handrails for the upper decks, for instance leading up to the quarter deck and poop. But, I wonder if they were fitted for going below. A single grab rail in an overhead beam would suffice for many applications.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci