Pre-built hull kits

Macika

Hey,

I'm still going through the plethora of options I have as an absolute beginner, trying to decide which kit to select as my first one and I noticed some of Amati's models are also available with polystyrene pre-build hulls. Now, since I personally find the hull planking the most intimidating part of this whole journey, I was wondering if there are more options to this? Anything in the 40-80cm range?

It appears that the larger the scale, the more common this becomes but the higher the price, as well. My guess is that these kits are geared towards RC conversions.

Thank you!

Cristian

I can't speak to the Amati kits without knowing which one's you're thinking about. Billing Boats also offers a number of kits with plastic hulls. And yes, many kits with plastic hulls are aimed at the RC market.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

I recognize your fear of planking but I think you will gain by realizing that the first and
 maybe even the second boat you build will not be a masterpiece. 
I think it's better if you choose a smaller build, regardless of whether it involves planking or not.
Choose a type of boat that you like and have fun building.
This is a hobby, not a competition.
Edited by ubjs

If you want to feel that this is really your model, avoid the plastic hull and build a solid hull model with a carved wooden hull.  IMHO carving a wooden hull is enjoyable and will give you a feeling for the “lines” of a real ship.  Solid hull model kits are unusual in today’s POB model world but they do exist.  Bluejacket offers several.

Roger

Thank you for your insights, gentleman!

@ccoyle I was particularly looking at the 1:80 Endeavour: https://store.amatimodel.com/en/box-mounting-americas-cup-by-amati/product-endeavour-kit-180-scale-with-polystyrene-hull-b170050.html

@ubjs Oh that's pretty clear having gone through the same process with plastic kits a decade or so ago ;) Still, I feel like taking it bite by bite would help so, having to "only" worry about the mainly flat surface of the deck might be a first steps.

@Roger Pellett I agree to that! However, as mentioned above, I was eyeing the Amati 1:80 Endeavour (sorry, should have mentioned that in the initial post) and this having a steel hull in original I thought having a smooth plastic hull might even be more realistic while easing the build as a welcome bonus.

I would say find anything you really want to make (not too expensive, this is just the taster) and then just make it. Like a month or two.

If you really want to make a very good static model then a small kit from Occre, Amati, Vanguard, Model Shipways...

I know Occre but I suspect the best for hand-holding instructions is Vanguard.

People like plastic hulls because they want them to float.

Otherwise you'll have more fun and more choice with (static) wood builds.