OcCre HMS Victory Limited edition

modeller_masa

At first glance I thought this kit was great as it is designed to be built as an admiralty style model, kind of like the Model Shipways Confederacy.  Upon closer examination, I've changed my first impression of this kit.  This kit is marketed to an advanced ship modeler but I think it falls short.  An advanced modeler would not make but jointed carlings for the exposed gun deck framing.  They also would not be happy with the inaccurate fittings and oversized belaying pins.  The stern galleries would probably be replaced, etc. etc.  Upon completion, this would result in a very nice "decorator model" that the builder could be proud of.

The market that might be interested in this kit would be a modeler with few kits under their belt who is newly retired and looking for a challenge in their retirement years.

If I were going to plunk down $1,700.00 for a ship model (unlikely) there are other models on the market more deserving of my $$.  Here's a few: Syren Winchelsea, Bluejacket Wyoming, Vanguard Indefatigable.

This model does not appeal to me.  I'm sure Occre will sell a few though.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

3 hours ago, Wawona59 said:

They also would not be happy with the inaccurate fittings and oversized belaying pins.

Seems they follow a theme in this regard.  The other offerings you mention have shown these problems are not without solutions.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU