Skiff by bbrennan737 - Model Shipways/Midwest Products - 1:12

Greetings!

Having completed my first build last month, the MS Grand Banks Dory from the introductory Shipwright Series, I said I was going to practice on another model before moving up in skill level. I am excited that MS/ME has acquired and began reproducing many Midwest kits of the past, as they appear to be perfect for beginners like myself. I chose this Skiff kit with the goal of improving my basic skills, and building on lessons & mistakes I made on the previous model. I've also done some research on the older Midwest kits, so I will try to point out some differences on this Model Shipways rerelease as I notice them. 

image.thumb.jpeg.11a676becbac6ed52ae19b325756b7e7.jpeg

I would skip over the box, but as I haven't seen any build logs for this MS produced Skiff I'll take a moment to show it. First major difference with the box is the picture of the model has an entirely new paint scheme compared to the old Midwest colors. I think the deep blue is attractive and will plan to follow this paint job when the time comes. The box does appear to have a hybrid branding - the old Midwest logo is featured, but also clearly has MS branding added as well. As a result I've titled this build as an MS-Midwest build to help clarify that this is a rerelease version. From the box description and learning about skiffs for this build, later 19th century seems like an appropriate era for this build log. The side of the box has MS '22 trademarks, but interestingly it keeps the original Midwest kit number of 967. When doing some research of the old Midwest produced kits they made two different scales for the Skiff - kit #947: a 1:6 scale model advertised as a "Yacht Skiff." And kit #967: simply titled "The Skiff" in 1:12 scale. As of right now only this single Skiff model appears on the ME/MS website, which is this 1:12 model. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ca3b91eb7923cdb5d15fc90b80cffa64.jpeg

Opening the box the contents appeared as expected - same standard as MS laser cut wood. As shown in the picture - one of the side planks was already free but thankfully no damage. Everything appeared to be in order, however the instruction manual had some strange printing errors. I won't go into detail out of respect for ME/MS, as they replied within hours of my email and sent a new instruction manual right away, and said they would check other kits.  

image.thumb.jpeg.2ee6e91ab59c9ac4b6204b32da6b58be.jpeg

Starting off with the bottom plank - markings needed to be measured and penciled in. In contrast to the Dory I just built that had guide markings, having to make simple markings like this made me feel more engaged in the build. I then installed the stem, knee, and transom. I took time to make sure everything was square, perhaps more so then my last build, and definitely used less glue as I learned from last time to gauge how much is needed. 

Next I'll finish getting the cleats ready, and attach the frames in the coming days. So far I'm enjoying the rereleased kit and think it is a great complement to the Dory build. 

Very cool, I'm looking forward to following!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some time to pick back up on the build. Added the cleats - simply used the drawing from the plan to cut them, and sanded them flush once in place.

Beginning work on the frames I took a moment to number each one individually as each pair of frames are different sizes. Next step was to bevel the bottom of each frame (except frame 3, which should remain at a 90 degree angle). I was happy to have previous exposure from the dory for this as the instructions don't explain what a bevel is - not to say that one couldn't easily figure out how to do it, but I'd imagine some may come to this kit with zero experience and these terms and methods aren't defined. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e03a32f90bfe7f7cdfb0fba314afeac9.jpeg

Once all the frames were in place I began fairing - which at this point the instructions did explain this how-to process. I find it interesting that they took a moment to explain fairing, but not beveling. Maybe MS can add in such notes in a future edit. 

Next was to create a strongback as a jig for bending the bottom plank, and to install the planks. The kit included a hefty 5/8 x 7/8 x9" block to use. Using a metal square ruler it was simple to follow the directions to measure and mark all the needed lines. A rather significant 45 degree bevel is needed to be cut into the front inch and half or so into the block. I'd imagine this would be a quick way blunt my x-acto knife, so this was a perfect moment to try I some new small wood chisels I just got. It made quick work on the block. Not the cleanest method to cut into the wood, but as this was just needed for clearance for planking I wasn't worried about aesthetics here. Next shims were added towards the forward and aft. I had to sand the back end of the block as it wasn't completely even, and I'm sure if left untouched things wouldn't remain square for long.  Once everything was ready and aligned the instructions said to take some push pins to bend the bottom plank in position for planking. I thought this was a less then ideal method compared to soaking and using some weights or clamps for the bend on the dory. Not to mention being reluctant to poking holes in the model. But as part of my goals for this build is to learn some new methods I continued to follow the manual and used the push pins. This was a great moment to check to ensure that the bevels I made on each frame were formed correctly. The manual also had me add a spall to the first frame, and a stem brace for rigidity during planking. Looking at how well the frame appears to be attached to the strongback the stem brace seems a bit redundant, or possibly interfering if not centered perfectly. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1d71fb81d8a35b1c20810d22f0607a54.jpeg

I then prepared the planks - only 2 solid planks are in this kit. Compared to the dory this was a breeze. The manual doesn't mention soaking them, but my planks did take a 5min hot water bath and they bent into place easily.

image.thumb.jpeg.2c0f6cdcc67e48ab1c27e5539c9fd582.jpeg

Learning from my previous build I also thought it would be a good idea to look ahead and test fit the breasthook to ensure a good fit. The picture above is unglued as I will allow the planks to dry overnight before attaching.

As a beginner I'm finding the simplicity of this build engaging and enjoyable, as well as being able to compare and contrast with the manual with previous skills. 

• 1 month later...

Hi! So cool to see this build in progress. I just got the same kit as a Christmas present and afraid mine also has printing errors, though I haven't been so lucky with getting a response from Midwest. I was wondering if you'd be able to share the pdf for these instructions (page 7 specifically) or even maybe the email you were able to reach Midwest at? Thanks so much!