Chebec by Jake Groby - Heller 1:50

This set of build pictures took place over 15 years. I originally started the build back in 2006 and it kept getting shoved aside for other customer models.  I'd get some free time and take her off the shelf, do a little work, stick her back on the shelf. I broke out the pictures by album: Hull, Deck, Cannons, etc.   The model was completed this past spring, and she took a first place in the regional IPMS contest. The model was donated at a Silent Auction for Safe Harbor Battered Womens Clinic this past fall.  As some of you may know, I lived in South Louisiana in Chalmette and was hit by Katrina, Although, I have over 800 pics of the damage from our old city, I'll post just a few of my home and old Model shop. Although I was above sea-level you can still see the water reach 7'5" on the wall, the workshop went completely underwater. I dug through the mud and salvaged as many model kits as possible, the Heller Chebec being one.  I lost many fully rigged ships and many other models as well. 22ft of muddy water washed into our Parish (County to the rest of you). These are the pictures of the house after gutting and model workshop which I had custom built 16x10. After the storm we moved North by 30 miles to Lacombe, LA. into a new home, where I rebuilt a 10x20 model shop.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Edited by Jake Groby

These pics are the decking detail. The painting technic I used is from an old Kalmbach booklet entitled "How to Build Plastic Ship Model", long out of print and unfortunately never to be reprinted due to a suit. Decks get a coat of Testors Flat Black, lets dry 48 hours and then topcoat with your desired tan/sand/ etc. I used Armor Sand, because it finishes light enough to still detail with a mechanical pencil and a dark water wash.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me