Jump to content

HMS Victory by GrandpaPhil - Mantua - Scale 1:98 Kit-Bash

Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm Phil.  I'm about ten months into my build.  I've never done a ship of the line before, so this is a learning experience.


I chose to build the HMS Victory because I wanted to do a ship of the line.


I bought it off of E-Bay on an auction.


The kit dates back from 1991.


I've had a few difficulties due to the age of the wood and my relative inexperience (compared to most of you guys) in wooden ship modelling.


I am very patient.  I am very stubborn.  I have lots of experience with other types of models to draw from.


I have finished the rough work on the hull.  Both layers of planking are on.  The stern and quarter galleries are built and painted.  I have the base color scheme painted on.  I am going to be coppering the bottom of the hull.  I have 3/16" copper tape, a pounce wheel and Gene Bodnar's article on making copper plates using self adhesive copper tape (thank you very much, Gene, for writing that, as well as the other articles that you have written), that I pulled off of this website.  I plan on making very good use of all three :D.


Here's where I'm at right now:

IMG_0832 (2).JPG

IMG_0829 (2).JPG

IMG_0831 (2).JPG

IMG_0828 (2).JPG

Edited by GrandpaPhil
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question for everyone.  In most of the paintings that I have seen of naval battles, the lower sails on the main and foremasts are shown furled, with all others out.  Is this correct for a sailing ship in combat, and are there any others that I would need to have furled, or not, to model the Victory in combat?  Thanks in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally, the lower sails would be taken in during an engagement to reduce the chance of them catching fire and being holed by canon fire. Grapeshot and bar would be used to make a mess of the rigging and sweep the deck of fighting men.  A brutal, ugly affair. The direction and strength of the wind would play a huge part, with one ship trying as much as possible to deny the other any advantage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Started installing my gunports.


In my lessons learned file, next time I am framing in my gunports BEFORE planking.


I have made the discovery that my gundecks are not exactly where they need to be in relation to the gunports, which I cut IAW the provided template :default_wallbash:.  This means that my gunports will be closed and the Victory rigged under full sail.  Oh, well, there’s always next time.


Plus, a model under full sail is always a very impressive sight!  😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

1991.....Wow, you would never know it!

I've been so hung up on the Mantua kit, haven't really done my research on the other kits available.

I still have some homework to do.

Great build, she looks great!

I'll be following with great interest.



Tom E 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have made some more progress.  I painted the insides of the gunport frames red.  I still have some more detail painting to go, but I’m making progress.  


I also started mounting the dummy guns into their mounting blocks.  I made the discovery that I have to be really careful to avoid splitting due to the age of the kit.


I ordered 160 HO scale eyebolts to make the gunport lids as historically accurate as possible.


I’m having much fun with this build.




Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...