Trabaccolo by aliluke - MarisStella - 1/32

I have made a small start on the trabaccola by Maris Stella. Also known as a a trabakul, it is a coastal trading ship from the Adriatic - specifically Croatia. Maris Stella are based in Split, Croatia and I bought the kit directly from them. The support  from Zoran at Maris Stella has already been amazing.

I chose this ship for its likeable and unusual shape and for being, well, different. Plus being a freighter there are no cannons - yay! It is also a ship type rather than a specific vessel so I can paint it whatever colour I like and they came in many colours. There are existing trabakul, so plenty of photos online. The kit set looks beautifully made and comes with pre-sewn sails - whether I install these remains to be seen. Its not a common subject here with one log for the kit by Don Robinson, who did an amazing job, and one scratch build by Mfelinger (Matija from Croatia). There are lots of photos of the real thing on Matija's log. At 1/32 it is a large scale and a big model at 876mm long. It has plenty of challenges including a fully lined interior and single planking for a very bluff, rounded bow and stern. Nothing is as normal...

To start, I examined the need for building the ships boat from a balsa wood plug which you have to carve. I was not really up for that, so I bought a Quay Craft resin 1/32 boat through Cornwall Models. It is almost exactly the same size as the kit version but with a slightly different seat configuration. It is also clinker built which I like. The Quay Craft kit comes with a huge number of parts i.e. four - one hull and three seats. The casting is a bit rough but cleaned up okay. You detect more roughness when you paint and it is hard to get a really good finish and even lines. I added oars, a rudder and bolts. I'll also add an anchor and rope at some point. I like to start with a smaller kit part to get my head around the scale and this is really big! It also gives me a chance to play with my basic colour scheme which will deviate from the box lid. In my case a pale blue grey with very dark blue trims but mostly natural timber (the boat seats and floor is just painted resin made to look like timber).

I haven't given up on HMS Fly - I just got bored with it for the time being.

The box - big!

image.thumb.jpeg.8369d5d6961645d06d9253438e7585e0.jpeg

Inside the box - there are plenty of descriptions of content on the Maris Stella website.

image.thumb.jpeg.cee8b2e06151dab4e8b7efbcd0f5445a.jpeg

Inside the box 

IMG_5335.thumb.jpg.68fe3c38f4cdca1da0592b33dd3c9a33.jpg

The plug for the boat - no thanks...

IMG_5336.thumb.jpg.78fc75ba6b05d6e5fe71821301393f6c.jpg

The Quay Craft alternative - more or less completed.

IMG_5339.thumb.jpg.0dcf55e24a1e9de760301da41b57a883.jpg

IMG_5341.thumb.jpg.a83eb8b2583add1b2b4e80b7d3a80681.jpg

IMG_5347.thumb.jpg.8ac805014245ca6b9a98ee8899fc7724.jpg

Size comparison with the Vanguard Models launch and pinnace at 1/64.

IMG_5346.thumb.jpg.616c0a874731abc06b2b7378665d86ef.jpg

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Good luck on your journey , and have a Happy New Year, all the best my friend.  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Thanks Bob and the likes

As I delved into the kit I realised that I had to scratch build the windlass. Hmm, I don't have a lathe as Don Robinson had for his windlass, and my attempts at carving the dowel for this piece were rubbish. So I built a 3D model of the windlass and will get it 3D printed. Being summer here and most people on holiday, that might take some time...We'll see how it turns out. If any one wants a model of a windlass at 1/32 for a trabakul feel free to ask.

windlass.JPG.a461646b692e7938a16e5da972e0e6f6.JPG

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)