Hi, I'm working on a WW2 landing craft tanks ,LCT,  which my father skippered in the Pacific in 1944.

I'm trying to find the appropriate paint. Is Tamiya AS-8 Navy Blue the correct color? I read that LCTs were painted a blue in the Atlantic and a green in the Pacific theater.  I don't have an airbrush set up so will have to use spray cans.

Any help would be appreciated

Bill

Don't be led astray by generalist statements about the colors of naval vessels in WW2...🙂  LCTs (like most USN vessels) were painted in a variety of Measures (camouflage schemes).  If you know the number of your Dad's boat, go to www.navsource.org, select the AMPHIBIOUS button, select LCT, and find it in the list.  Hopefully, there will be a photo of her, which will display the pattern.  After that, you can look for a camouflage measure sheet which will list the appropriate colors by official designation (5-HG, 20B, etc.).  I'd be happy to assist you with this process, if you like.

Alross2 thanks for the info. I checked the site and got some more information on lct 1302 and one additional photo. I have some of my dad's photos but unfortunately everything I've found has been black and white and none even show a pattern. On an old kit I found there is a color scheme with some color names that is the best I've been able to find.

I'll try to trace down the paints. 

Since I don't have an air brush I will have to brush the paint, I guess masking off one layer at a time.

Never tried that before so should be interesting.

Bill20240123_145213.thumb.jpg.c4b2744380362a61fadf74f0853bb6ca.jpg20240123_144646.thumb.jpg.80f4b1f1ce5eeddb6652df076a8b5abe.jpg

Hi Bill,  a local modeling friend here in Seattle is a naval historian who has done considerable research on USN measures in WW2.  PM me with the information you have on your dad's LCT such as theatre, dates and ship number if you have it.  I will contact me friend and see if he has any information that can help you.  He's the one who convinced me to paint my Arizona model blue for a Pearl Harbor display we did a few years ago.  The Arizona may even have been partially painted in the Measure 5 scheme on 12-7-41.

I hope I can help you with your research.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

Found a LCT measure from the Pacific Theatre in 1944

LCT Pacific Theatre 1944.jpg

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner