Polaris by Cenizas - OcCre - First Build

Hi everyone,

I just got done (kind of) with the shipwright series and decided to make a small step up and do the Polaris by OcCre.  I botched the lobster smack and it’s now somewhere in our local landfill.   I’ve never done a build log before and don’t really know all the part names and honestly will never figure out what side port is and if the front is aft or not lol.  I’m sure this stuff will come, but for now I’m just enjoying building!  I haven’t documented the process that well but here’s where I’m at.  

I’m getting a bit ahead of myself and have started putting together a couple things that go on the deck.  Some

of those little features are already on it.  Hopefully that doesn’t cause probs for me later.  IMG_8941.thumb.jpeg.f4338a416a384eb905d6c51083cbfe48.jpegIMG_8941.thumb.jpeg.f4338a416a384eb905d6c51083cbfe48.jpegIMG_8949.thumb.jpeg.b7ecb4c896ddb95c827acb185a5159d7.jpegIMG_8950.thumb.jpeg.0ab2b135a1f7d0ff2a680a14dd68c3e6.jpegIMG_8950.thumb.jpeg.0ab2b135a1f7d0ff2a680a14dd68c3e6.jpegIMG_8945.thumb.jpeg.070a5893af309335bbc6b01bfb1aec1f.jpegIMG_8944.thumb.jpeg.96d81bd6912d1256b08a3c474aa76504.jpeg

id love for anyone to point out any places that need work.  I’ll try to keep this updated, but I am a two job guy so my time is a bit limited.  

-Travis

I think you’re doing a great job so far Travis. I am currently working on OcCres’ Polaris as well. I just finished the second planking and am working on the deck details atm. I’m going to follow along and see how your build goes. Keep up the good job! 

image.thumb.jpg.7e902a85a47150190f2d5d65a24e0894.jpgHey everyone, I’ve made a pic of progress on the ship and thought I’d post some pictures.  I’ve got the hull planked and though it wasn’t in the instructions, I did end up putting some wood filler in a couple, well pretty much all over, the hull.  It made for lots of sanding but it’s turning out ok.  I actually used a rotary sander on the hull and it saved tons of time, but was a bit sketchy to use.  Not sure if I’ll ever do that again. 

im starting to line the hull with the darker colored wood strips and am finding this part a bit harder to deal with than expected.  I bought some of that liquid glue/cement as recommended by the instructions.  It doesn’t seem to hold great at first but is quite solid after a while.  Any advice on how to do this exterior hull lining?  IMG_8952.thumb.jpeg.4bddaac288ce294fb6c69a3518f2019b.jpegIMG_8955.thumb.jpeg.e29a51c8b5f21ff04020d351526c4fb7.jpeg

image.jpg

Hello, Travis, and welcome to MSW!

For the second layer I suggest you to read the planking materials here in the forum or to check my Polaris build log, where I tried to explain this step in a detail.

I also strongly recommend you to use only PVA white glue, instead of the contact cement. This glue is suggested in the instructions, but according to most people here (me as well), contact glue is awful and it's a big mess everytime you're using it. 

Regards,

Ilia

Finished build(s): Polaris - OcCre - 1:50

Thanks so much for the suggestion!  I got so frustrated with the contact glue that I decided to abandon the outer planking all together.  I’ve filled in the holes with wood filler and have tried create a more weathered, seasoned look.  For the most part it’s looking ok, but not gonna be everyone’s cup of tea.  I’ll have to post more pics soon.  

• 1 month later...